When it comes to VOIP (Voice Over IP) calls, we all know that Skype is one of the most popular app which is available across multiple platforms and OS including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Windows Phones. Skype allows both video and audio calls with premium features as well. But one of the features still missing in Skype is the ability to record calls which you might need in certain instances.
Although Skype does not offer this feature, the Skype desktop API has this option and there are several third party tools which allows recording of both video and audio calls on Skype. This means you can play the video or audio once you have completed the call. While there are many paid tools available for this, we are covering only the free ones.
1. Pamela for Skype (Windows):
This is one of the popular free tools available for recording Skype calls. This app comes in both free and paid versions and can record video calls for 5 minutes and audio calls for 15 minutes in the free version. If you want unlimited recording you need to get the full version. Here are some of the features of this app.
- Free Skype Call Recording
- Free Skype Video Recording
- Skype Chat Recording
- Skype Call Scheduler
- Record calls automatically
2. Talk Helper (Windows):
With TalkHelper video recorder for Skype, you are able to record Skype video calls smoothly and professionally, stores in AVI files with XVID codec support. Skype audio calls can be saved in MP3 or WAV format with stereo or mono option supported. Skype voicemails and video messages will be saved in media files on your local disk, you are able to review/playback them via media player anytime. TalkHelper automatically detects and records it for you, no matter it’s a incoming call, outgoing call, or conference call with or without video enabled.
3. Callnote (Windows and Mac):
Callnote is yet another Skype call recording app which supports both Windows and Mac. Callnote Premium is more than just a Skype Call Recorder – it is also an audio and video recordings manager. It gives you the ability not only to record Skype calls, but also to view recorded Skype videos and audio, edit recorded Skype chats and delete outdated Skype call recordings.
Features of Callnote:
- Record Skype Video Calls
- Save Skype Videos to Evernote and Dropbox
- Share Call Records on Facebook, Youtube or via Email
- Record Shared Screen and Chat from your Skype calls
- Take instant snapshots during your video calls
- Manage Skype Call Recordings on PC
4. SoftComfort Calls Recorder (Windows):
This is another app which works on Windows and allows you to record calls. The app also supports Windows 8 modern UI. The Calls Recorder starts recording automatically when conversation in Skype begins if you press the button Auto Record: On. If you press Off – the program begins recording only after you start it manually. It can record from desktop version or the Windows 8 version of Skype.
5. Free Video Call Recorder for Skype (Windows):
This is yet another free recorder for Skype on Windows. It can record both video and audio calls. The program creates mp4 video from video calls and mp3 audio from audio calls which are supported by most modern players.
6. MP3 Skype Recorder (Windows)
As the name indicates, the app can record only audio calls and save it as MP3 format. Some of the features of this app:
- It’s absolutely free with no limits attached for private, non-commercial use.
- Both versions ‘Skype app’ and ‘Skype for desktop’ recording supported.
- Automatic or manual recording capabilities.
- Compact format of stored records (mp3 files).