Earlier in this blog I had written about free anti-virus and free anti-spyware softwares to protect your PC. In this post you can check out the other free security programs which help to protect your PC. Please not that this list does not contain the softwares already mentioned in the above posts.
1. AVG Anti-Root Kit: One of the most feared types of malware is the root-kit. Root-kits are most of the time causes for trojan horses. These programs usually hide trojans which can take control of your PC without your knowledge. AVG Anti Root-kit is a software to prevent Root-kit attacks.
2. AOL Active Security Monitor: Active Security Monitor is not a software to protect your PC directly from virus and other attacks, instead it checks for all the installed anti-virus and anti-spyware softwares and informs whether all have the latest version and updates. It also checks for installed firewalls.
3. Comodo Firewall PRO: Comodo Firewall is one of the top rated free firewall programs available. It offers highest level of security against anit-leak.
4. CCleaner: Whenever you surf the internet, you leave a trail of information in the form of temporary files, history, cookies etc. CCleaner gets rid of your system of all such traces and helps you maintain privacy in your PC.
5. File Shredder 2.0: File shredder deletes and flushes your files permanently from the system. This software overwrites any file with a random string of binary value. There are five shredding algorithms.
6. Hijack This: Hijack This is one of the top rated anti-spywares which can detect and delete all spywares. Hijack this creates a log of your registry and file settings which you can upload to their website and check for any issues.
7. Internet Threat Meter: Symantec’s Internet Threat meter informs you about the latest threats and information on the internet and also gives a link to Symantec website where you can get more information. It can be run as a widget in XP and sidebar gadget in Vista.
8. LinkScanner Lite: LinkScanner is another tool which determines whether a site is dangerous or not. Open the url in Link scanner and it determines whether there are any scripts, bad downloads onr any other harmful content in the site.
10.McAfee Site Advisor: Site Advisor warns you about the site you are visiting is dangerous or not. It can be installed as an IE toolbar or as a Firefox plugin. Whenever you search internet, it shows whether the link is safe or not using colors.
If you are using any more free security programs, please mention in comments.