Joomla has released a new version of its popular content management software. The new version 1.6 comes with lots of improvements, new look dashboard and much more. Now if you are a Joomla 1.5 user, you might be now thinking of upgrading to new version. This tutorial will help you in upgrading your current Joomla installation of 1.5 to version 1.6. Since the process is not a direct one, please follow the steps carefully.
1. Before starting the upgrade, make sure that you have a look at the system requirements of Joomla 1.6 as it is a major upgrade. The system requirements for Joomla 1.6 is documented here.
2. Take a backup of your current Joomla 1.5 installation, in any case the upgrade goes wrong, you should worry about the data.
3. First step in the actual upgrade process is to download jUpgrade. Get the latest version of jUpgrade.
4. Now install jUpgrade in your present Joomla installation using the Install manager.
5. Select the jUpgrade package which you have download and click Upload File and Install
6. Once installed, click jUpgrade from components list as shown in the image.
7. Now you can see a Start Upgrade button, click on it.
8. The plugin will start the upgrade process.
Please wait until you see the message sown below.
9. Now if you notice, jUpgrade has installed version 1.6 on another subfolder created by the plugin “jUpgrade”. So if your Joomla 1.5 installation was on www.myjoomlasite.com, then the new version 1.6 would be at www.myjoomlasite.com/jupgrade/. Please do a full site review of your Joomla 1.6 installation and make sure everything is set up properly. jUpgrade has migrated your existing database to 1.6.
10. Now lets move the 1.6 installation to the folder where 1.5 was installed. This task involves two steps;
- Relocate old Joomla 1.5 installation to a subfolder as a backup.
- Relocate new Joomla 1.6 installation to the html folder.
Make sure that you proceed in the following order itself.
11. Now log onto your cPanel of your server or use an FTP Client. Create a subfolder (e.g. oldjoomlasite) for the Joomla 1.5 installation in your html root, e.g. public_html/oldjoomlasite.
12. Select all the folders, except the jupgrade folder and files in the html root and move them into the Joomla 1.5 subfolder (i.e. oldjoomlasite).
13. Select all the folders and files in the jupgrade folder and move them to the html root. Now your site should be running Joomla 1.6. Cross check the front end and backend to ensure that everything is working fine.
We will cover more details and features of Joomla 1.6, stay tuned!