If you are hosting your website on IIS server, then the free URL Rewriter from Microsoft is definitely a tool worth using. URL Rewriter is an extension for IIS that makes Web addresses search engine friendly and simple for customers to remember. IIS URL Rewrite 2.0 enables Web administrators to create powerful rules to implement URLs that are easier for users to remember and easier for search engines to find.
Some for the features of URL Rewrite;
- Rules-based URL rewriting engine
- Rules-based response rewriting engine
- Support for custom .NET rewrite providers
- Regular expression pattern matching
- Wildcard pattern matching
- Global and distributed rewrite rules
- Rewriting within the content of specific HTML tags
For example the URL http://www.samplewebsite.com/article.aspx?id=123&title=salesrevenue might not be easy to remember and also not SEO friendly. With this free tool you can make it http://www.samplewebsite.com/article/123/salesrevenue/ which is very much easy to share and also SEO friendly.