If you have a Windows 7 laptop, you can turn it into a Wi Fi hotspot so that your friends can connect to it. Virtual Wi Fi, one of the features that Microsoft introduced in Windows 7 and Virtual Wi Fi makes it possible to use the wireless networking adapter of a PC running Windows 7 as a wireless hotspot for additional systems. Connectify is a free application, currently in beta which uses the Virtual Wi Fi capabilities of Windows 7. Windows 7 users can use the Connectify to share the Internet connection of their computer system through a secure WPA2 encrypted hotspot.
Other devices with wireless capabilities can connect to the hotspot to make use of that connection. Connectify works with new Windows 7 logo-tested Wi Fi devices, and many older devices that have compatible Windows 7 drivers.
To get started, click on the Connectify logo in the Notification Tray.
- Select the Internet connection you wish to share
- Choose a name for your new wireless network
- Choose a wireless passphrase
- Press the Internet Sharing button to turn on your wireless network
- Now, from your other devices, you can see your wireless network. Choose to join it, and enter the wireless passphrase to connect.