How to Create a Wi-Fi Hotspot in Windows 10

Tutorial

How to Create a Wi-Fi Hotspot in Windows 10

If you are using a wired connection on your PC or using a USB connection with your 3G or 4G LTE dongle, you can share this connection to other devices. This means you can connect other smartphones, tablets and even laptops to this connection by creating a portable wireless hotspot on Windows 10. There is no direct UI to create the hotspot, but you can easily do it using few commands.

In this article, we will show you how to get started in creating a wireless hotspot in Windows 10.

Here is the video on how to create a hotspot.

To get started, right click on the Windows start button and click Command prompt (admin). This will open the command prompt in administrator mode.

admin command

Now type the following command;

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=AdHoc key=password

In the above command, you can add your own value for SSID and enter your key. Now press enter.

command prompt

Now to start the network, type the below command;

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Now that ad-hoc connection is created with passkey, you need to share the existing connection.

hosted network

Once the hosted network is enabled, you can see MyWiFi connection listed in the network and sharing center. Now the network needs an internet connection and for this, you need to share the existing active Internet connection. Right click on your existing internet connection and select properties.

Share connection

Now select the Sharing tab in properties. Check the box against “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection”. Then select the newly created Wi-fi connection from the drop down list. Now save the details and close the properties.

Properties

Now you can see Internet available on the new hotspot connection created.

created hostpot

In case you want to stop the hosted network, use this command;

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

If you find this method difficult, you can probably use tools like Virtual Hotspot, Connectify or mHotspot.

1. Pingback: Turn Your Windows 10 Computer Into a Wi-Fi Hotspot - Binary Reveux

2. Pingback: Como transformar tu Windows 10 en un hotspot para ofrecer WiFi a otros dispositivos | Cnn Hit New

3. Pingback: Como transformar tu Windows 10 en un hotspot para ofrecer WiFi a otros dispositivos | Bienestar Institucional

4. Isa C.

August 19, 2015 at 11:30 am

Thank you for this detailed and useful guide-it really helped me!

• satish

December 19, 2015 at 12:05 pm

thanks it is usefull tip

5. Pingback: Turn Your Windows 10 Computer Into A Wi-Fi Hotspot | Lifehacker Australia

6. Suraj

August 19, 2015 at 2:57 pm

I don’t get sharing option when i clicked on properties 🙂

• tama

October 9, 2016 at 10:25 pm

i got same condition, anyone have solution to fix this?

7. enekux

September 6, 2015 at 4:28 am

Thanks for the info, it works great!

Note that the network will not be started automatically after reboot. However, by default, the stored passphrase/key will be persistent. So we can create a batch file with next lines:

@ECHO OFF

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Instead of putting the batch file directly in the Startup folder (Run(Win+R) -> shell:startup), you can store it elsewhere, create a shortcut and put it in the Startup folder.
    Then you can change the shortcut’s Properties to run minimized so you don’t see the command window that pops up every time the machine is rebooted.

I hope this also helps.

8. deepesh

September 7, 2015 at 10:07 pm

I have followed all the steps to create wifi hotspot but when i lastly go for “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” I am not getting any drop down list and “ethernet ” is written in the box and it cant be changed.

I am not getting no internet access.

Can anybody please help????

9. Simran

September 25, 2015 at 11:19 am

I have followed all the steps to create wi-fi hotspot but there is no internet access on my android device for which i created the hotspot. I have also tried Connectify and mhotspot but still no internet access. Earlier was using mhotspot on my Windows 7 Home premium and there was no issue, but after upgrading to Windows 10 I can create hotspot but no internet access.

Can anybody please help????

10. margaor

September 28, 2015 at 11:56 pm

there is an error occuring after I input: netsh wlan start hostednetwork

ERROR:

The hosted network could’t be started
    The group or resourse is not in the correct state for the required operation

• Altaf

May 31, 2017 at 4:42 pm

enable the hostednetwork adapter in Device manager

11. uvais

October 2, 2015 at 2:54 pm

when i tried to start the hotspot after creating it using the above command the following were displayed .
    The hosted network could’t be started .
    the group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the required operation .
    what do i do ?

• Steffi

October 8, 2016 at 1:07 am

Yes even I’m facing the same problem !!! please help …

• Altaf

May 31, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Enable the hosted network virtual adapter in Device manager first

• elvis

June 23, 2017 at 12:15 am

there is no hosted network virtual adaptor.
          what should i do?

12. MakovyFalus

October 10, 2015 at 1:06 am

Will this create separate network, connected via laptop IP or bridge and my device will be on same network as laptop? My gf is in a dorm with only wired, plus they need to registrer MAC address of the device, nothing else is allowed to be connected.

13. red

October 30, 2015 at 12:05 pm

i can`t connect my phone using this .
    it keep saying finding IP address and sometimes authenticating.

• orange

May 20, 2016 at 2:03 pm

same for me, any solution how to fix it ?

14. Shan

November 21, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Thanks Nirmal for this Video and info, as I was trying from last 2 months to set this up. I was using the WiFI sharing/Adhoc WiFI in win7 and thought the same would be available in Win 10. This info helped me to create one and it worked.

thanks once again and keep up the great work.

15. Peter Sharples

November 25, 2015 at 5:10 am

all going fine when I followed the above until I input: netsh wlan start hostednetwork

The response I get then is:

The hosted network couldn’t be started.
    The wireless local area network interface is powered down and doesn’t support the requested operation.

Grateful for any advice. I am not sure what is meant by the local area network interface being powered down – in effect that is what I am trying to set up. Meanwhile I am able to connect with the internet through my mobile dongle modem.

Thanks, Peter

• Robin

March 23, 2016 at 10:48 am

I have the same problrm too. If you find a solution please do ping me at robin.kolakaluri@gmail.com

• ammy rajput

July 18, 2016 at 5:56 am

Failed to obtain IP address.

• muheet bhat

December 22, 2016 at 9:23 pm

turn your wifi on bro……..then it will work

16. Sumit

February 6, 2016 at 1:15 pm

After giving the command to start the hosted network, I encounter the following message:
    The hosted network couldn’t be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

What needs to be rectified?

17. khaled

February 15, 2016 at 4:22 pm

how to create hidden wifi ?

18. louise

February 23, 2016 at 3:11 am

what is the password to connect to the hotspot is it key or password?

19. Jithu Wilson

March 2, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Is it possible setup this using Dial up network

20. kon

March 6, 2016 at 9:37 am

what this mean?
    someone?

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=AdHoc key=password
    The Wireless AutoConfig Service (wlansvc) is not running.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

21. Ramadas

April 5, 2016 at 4:22 pm

the following message is displayed.

The hosted network couldn’t be started.

22. farzad

April 12, 2016 at 2:31 am

how I can delete this connection??

23. Chets Patel

April 18, 2016 at 7:50 pm

works amazingly well 🙂

now if only i knew how to hide to ssid. for now i’ve renamed it as a printer name so looks more anon

24. hassan

May 24, 2016 at 10:46 pm

The response I get then is:

The hosted network couldn’t be started.

• siva

September 3, 2016 at 10:59 am

#hassan just turn on your wifi

25. Wayne

June 7, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Anyone have a solution to this
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh wlan start hostednetwork
    The hosted network couldn’t be started.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

• Roberto Fernandez-Rey

July 11, 2016 at 7:01 am

Enable your WiFi connection, it is disable, that’s why you receive that message.

26. Subham Kumar

September 6, 2016 at 7:44 am

Hello sir ,I m subham, when hostednetwork started in my computer then it show me these lines(the group or resources is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation). sir pls solve my this prob. ok thanq sir.

27. Jay

September 8, 2016 at 8:51 am

Thanks for the info, it is very useful.
    one thing i wanna ask is, ive been started it, and never turned it off and instead just shut off my labtop, assuming that it does shut down that wi fi as well.

now i see lots of Service Host: thing in task manager,
    Sevice Host: network restricted, no network, No impersonation, remote procedure call , and so on.

are they supposed be exist? or does it come from this internet sharing method?

28. Rahul

September 10, 2016 at 8:45 pm

But the MyWiFi network created is not permanent. It deleted itself soon after turning off Wifi. Can I have a permanent network? Please reply.
    Thank You.

29. SHAZ

October 13, 2016 at 4:07 pm

i have latest…windows 10 anniversary update installed. I use INTERNET connection though USB modem.
    when tried to make it Hotspot at newly featured settings with the recent update..it says.. ”we cant set up hotspot cause ur pc doesnt have Ethernet, wi-fi or cellular data connection. the Hotspot button is inactive.
    Help me resolve the issue…i want to TURN my Pc HOTSPOT oN.

30. Zanco

November 16, 2016 at 11:19 pm

I get ‘The hosted network couldn’t be started.’

If you are running Windows 7 or higher then you should be able to share Connectify via AP(Access Point). If this is not the case, please be sure to check that you have the latest wireless drivers installed for your wireless device by visiting the wireless card manufacturer’s website or the computer manufacturer’s website. If you have an older wireless device that does not support Hosted Networks(AP mode) then you might need to purchase a USB WiFi adapter. You can check this information by opening the command prompt and entering the following command:

netsh wlan show drivers

If your device says ‘Hosted network supported: No’ then you will not be able to run your hotspot in AP mode. As mentioned above, you can try checking for driver updates that might include support for Hosted Networks(AP mode), but if it doesn’t help then you will need to purchase a USB WiFi adapter that does.

31. siva

December 6, 2016 at 12:12 am

i have found solution for ‘The hosted network couldn’t be started.
    The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation’

1. netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow (type this first-result will be ‘hosted network mode has been set to allow’)
    2. netsh wlan start hostednetwork (result will be ‘hosted network started’)
    3. then go to network settings->choose your connection name->sharing tab->allow other users->WiFi name->select and click ok.

Done

Regards,
    Siva

32. omar

December 25, 2016 at 12:37 am

i try to do this method but it didnt work after run
    netsh wlan start hostednetwork
    it gives me
    The hosted network couldn’t be started.

33. Pingback: How to Turn Your Computer into a Wi-Fi Hotspot using Windows 10 | SNX Consulting Blog

34. Pingback: How to create wifi hotspot in windows 7 laptop or desktop & share internet on mobile – 4 easy steps | Wifi Network

35. Pingback: How to Create Wi Fi Hotspot on Windows 10 | Techniqued - Microsystem Hotspot | wifi solutions | wifi marketing | internet management | selling internet packages | social wifi

36. Bishwas Shiwakoti

February 15, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I am having this problem. Can somebody help ??

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh wlan start hostednetwork
    The hosted network couldn’t be started.

37. Servias Mazhetese

March 10, 2017 at 3:31 am

Hi

Below is the error message I received:
    “The hosted network couldn’t be started.
    The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.”

38. aniketh

September 3, 2017 at 8:21 pm

The hosted network couldn’t be started.
    please tell me A SOLUTION

39. Nico

November 10, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Hi,
    Actually i have the same problem;
    The hosted network couldn’t be started.

It worked properly before but after couple days it’s F

Please need to fix it.