The hard disk is one of the most important parts of our PC where our personal files are stored. Any crashes or failure of the hard disk means our data is lost. So it is necessary to check the hard drives for any errors once a while. HDDScan is a free tool for Windows which can check the hard disk for errors. It can check RAID arrays servers, Flash USB and SSD drive as well. The program can check most of the storage device for errors (Bad-blocks and bad sectors), show S.M.A.R.T. attributes and change some HDD parameters such as AAM, APM, etc.
Once the app is installed, you can check your hard disk for any errors. The good thing about the app is that it can check for any potential issues or errors on the drive and you can check the health of your hard disk. In case of any issues, you can take preemptive measures by replacing the drive or backing up your files. Additionally, the software can be used as the hard disk temperature monitor and reading/writing benchmark and a performance graph is displayed for every test.
Supported devices include:
- IDE (ATA) and SATA HDD.
- SCSI (SAS) HDD.
- External USB drives and all major USB boxes
- FireWire or IEEE 1394 HDD
- RAID volumes made of ATA (IDE) / SATA / SCSI HDDs
- USB Flash – surface tests only.
- SATA / ATA SSD – solid state drives
The app comes with SMART parameters.
- Reading and analyzing SMART parameters from ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire HDD.
- Reading and analyzing Log Pages from SCSI HDD.
- SMART tests running on ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire HDD.
- Temperature monitor for ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire/SCSI HDD.
The app is compatible for Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2003 (with restrictions), Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10. You can download it free of cost from the link below.