Almost a year after the official Windows 8 was released, Microsoft has released the new Windows 8.1 with tons of changes, new features and improvements to the existing OS. The Windows 8.1 update is free for all existing Windows 8 users and they will be able to upgrade now. There were complaints from users when Microsoft released Windows 8 last year and one of the the main ones was the lack of start button. Microsoft has addressed these issues in the latest Windows 8.1 and the start button is back along with the boot to desktop feature.
Apart from these there are many improvements to the customizations and lock screen as well with new themes and color schemes added and also the ability to set the desktop wallpaper for start screen.
Along with this, there is also two new start screen tile sizes apart from the ones which were already available.
Here are some of the new features in Windows 8.1
- Start button is back
- Boot directly to desktop
- Automatic app updates
- New Windows Store app
- New SkyDrive with image editing- SkyDrive in Windows 8.1
- New apps like Alarms, Reading List, Movie Moments etc. Here is a detailed list of new apps.
- Better access in lock screen
- Better multi tasking with the ability to run up to 4 apps simultaneously.
- Default email client updated with new look and features.
- Improved customization options for start screen
- Better on screen keyboard which supports gestures
- Apps with gesture support
- Global search with Bing
- Xbox One integration and Xbox Music refresh
More on the list of updates and features available here.
The update will be available in Windows Store and will take some time to reach everyone. You can also visit Windows Store site to get details on the update. If you have the ISO, you can check this video tutorial on how to get started with the upgrade.
You can download this upgrade assistant to start the upgrade process.