How to Resize Disk Partition in Windows 7

Windows 7

How to Resize Disk Partition in Windows 7

Similar to Windows Vista, Windows 7 also has the option to resize partitions, this means you can shrink or extend partitions. The Disk Management in built utility is able to do the job of shrinking and expanding partitions and it does not require any 3rd party utilities. To manage your partitions, open Control Panel and type “partitions” or “hard disk” in the search bar on the right corner and you can see the link “Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions” under administrative tools.

partitions

This will open up the disk management utility for Windows 7.

Disk Management

To shrink any volume, right click on the desired volume and select the option “Shrink Volume”. This will open up the Shrink Volume window and you need to specify the amount of space you want to shrink.

Shrink Volume

If you want to extend any volume in Windows 7, right click on the drive to be extended and select “Extend Volume”. In the next step you need to specify the amount of space by which you want to extend the volume.

extend volume

Please note that extend volume for any drive will work only if there is continuous free space available on your hard disk.

1. Gagan

May 12, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Was looking for it ! Thanks Nirmal 🙂

2. Pingback: Free Partition Manager for Windows | Tricks and Tutorials

3. Pingback: Cómo refedinir las particiones en Windows 7

4. Ageng

October 28, 2009 at 8:51 am

Do you need to change the partition type to dynamic partition before you can do shrinking & extending..?

5. Binil

November 18, 2009 at 2:45 pm

is it possible for xp??

6. Hong

December 6, 2009 at 10:55 am

If there is some unallocated space clinging to other partition, how to expand system partition with the unallocated space? It is easy to use third party to perform this. See this post http://www.hdd-tool.com/partition-manager/extend-windows-7-partition-with-free-partition-manager.htm

7. GOPALKRISHNAN

December 17, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Can we go partition when only C is available ie I have PC which 500GB of hard disk and which has single partition as C drive. My question is how to partition the C drive

• P.Bhaskaran

October 29, 2010 at 9:04 pm

first you go to Disk Management..

then right click…

select shrink value…

you make size of partition…

then next… apply… ok…

finish…

8. Hong

December 20, 2009 at 2:11 pm

How to repartition a 500GB partition on which has been installed OS? Easeus partition master is a best choice, you can only need to decrease 500GB partition and then create new partitions on the unallocated space, it is simple and easy to perform this.

9. Shmellow

December 20, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Thank you this is exactly what is was looking for.

10. ansal k.m

December 22, 2009 at 6:23 am

i have149 gb.c:20 gb.d:30 gb e:30 gb .then i cant partition a new drive.no option there to crate new.i cant take from un allocated space.what i can to do?

11. jack163

December 27, 2009 at 5:59 pm

ansal k.m, One hard disk which is based on MBR can create four primary partitions or three primary partitions and one extended partition. If you cannot use windows built-in tool to create new partition, you can use a free partition manager tool to have a try, it is free for windows home users. Please refer: http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/partition-windows-7.htm

12. Sid

January 3, 2010 at 2:27 pm

This was a great help !!!

For Win 7 you don’t need a partition software for lost or missing partions on an external Drive ..

Thanks a lot !!

13. Kiran

January 4, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info…

14. Jim

January 8, 2010 at 7:20 am

Windows 7 built in disk management tool has shrink and extend functions, but there is some unallocated space behind this partition which you want to extend. If there is no unallocated space behind this partition, a free 3rd party partition tool is the best choice. I search in google and find many partition tools, such as diskpart, easeus partition master……

15. Asim

January 14, 2010 at 9:17 pm

thanks a million for this

16. daljeet

January 25, 2010 at 4:55 am

great help !!!!!!!! thanks!

17. Pingback: Build Your Own Computer at Home « How To Make Your Computer Work Like New: Plus other Tips and Tricks

18. Longs

January 30, 2010 at 11:10 am

A called Extend Partition Home Edition free software can expand the size of a partition, the download link: http://www.extend-partition.com/download.html

19. zewl

February 4, 2010 at 9:33 pm

i have a 500 gb hd… only 83gb used… but when i want to shrink the volume.. only 800mb available… any1 can help me?

20. Pingback: Re: I want a programme to resize my laptop hard disc | Forge network

21. Rashid

March 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Thanks very much for your help. tc

22. NAVEEN

March 2, 2010 at 12:25 am

DEFINETLY IT WILL HELPFUL FOR THE LEARNERS……………………….

Depending on the capacity of your hard drive you can change, create, format and partition drives …………………………………….

ONLY FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.

23. Pingback: Suse 11.1 and windows 7 install - openSUSE Forums

24. eswar

March 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Ya Well

Good

Helpfull for me

Im very very thankful to you

25. Rafael

March 23, 2010 at 10:36 am

it’s an excellent item. Congratulation

26. Pingback: Additional Disc Drive after windows 7 install - Help2Go

27. Pingback: tweak a new laptop: acer aspire 4740 « Klikdids' Blog

28. Dmitry

April 3, 2010 at 12:17 am

doesn’t work at all. only if you have clear partitions. I have two parts one of them with data and I don’t want to erase it. I just wanna add empty partition to partition with data and it wants to create dynamic disk and then it says error…

29. Win Man

April 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Does it work on any edition Windows 7?

30. faisal

April 6, 2010 at 5:29 am

thanks for sharink, this is very help full for me.

31. jony

April 12, 2010 at 11:44 am

i use free windows 7 partition manager to expand my c partition, please reffer the article:

32. Pankaj

April 20, 2010 at 7:06 pm

thnaks for guidance.
    It’s gr8

33. rob

April 21, 2010 at 12:35 am

I have a laptop with Windows 7 64 bit. Sadly, my engineering program and Auto 2007 will not run on this, and they want BIG bucks ($3,700) to get newer versions.
    I would like to partion the drive (500 GB) to load XP Pro on the other side so I can keep with my older, but still very useable software.
    I just partitioned the drive after I shrank it, but I think I made a mistake because I don’t know how to get XP Pro in there, so will probably expand it and start over.
    Any suggestions on which software to use to partion and get XP Pro on there?

Thanks
    Rob

34. Rob

April 21, 2010 at 3:12 am

looks like my first didn’t make it.
    What software would you recommend to partion Windows 7 64 bit so I can load XP Pro on it to run my engineering programs- they won’t run under windows 7.

35. jack

April 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm

EASEUS Partition Master can partition Windows 7 64 bit with simple operations, work like a charm.

36. Rob

April 22, 2010 at 1:34 am

Thx Jack.
    I bought it. Looking over paperwork now.
    Rob

37. justin

April 23, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Visit the link and download free partition software for windows 7

38. bhaskar

April 24, 2010 at 7:46 am

hello sir…..i found virus affect my files in c drive.shall i partition my hard drive now or better do format and then partition help me sir……

39. tommy

May 5, 2010 at 8:59 pm

There are a large number of partition software that can resize partition size, today. I found a new free partition manager — Partition Assistant. Info source: http://www.extend-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

40. bob

May 8, 2010 at 1:33 pm

To define a D-disk it is necessary to shrink the C-disk.
    Can this be done with data on the c-disk without reformatting the c-disk?

41. tommy

May 8, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Hello Bob, I believe Partition Assistant Home Edition can shrink your C: drive without reformatting the C-disk and all data protected. You can free download it to try here: http://www.extend-partition.com/download.html

42. sky

May 12, 2010 at 2:53 pm

i just brought a dell inspiron 1564 with windows 7 premium. Now it comes with 397 gb in the d drive and 58 gb in the c (os) drive. i want all the gb in my c drive. How do I do that?

Sky

• Nirmal

May 12, 2010 at 4:37 pm

@sky,
      You can extend the partition by using space in D

• kurt

October 4, 2010 at 12:04 am

i have the same laptop with u and same issue. i want to extend the size of my C drive but when I right Click the C it only shows shrink and the extend is not even highlighted .

please help

43. Pingback: Create, Shrink, Extend and Resize Disk Partitions in Windows 7- Detailed Guide

44. anonymus

May 13, 2010 at 1:16 am

ty nirmal……..
    waz xactly wat i waz lookin 4!!!!

45. Richie

May 25, 2010 at 10:22 am

Ihavethesame question with miltiple partitionsinan IBM Thinkpad. If you extend all of the partitions,will it truly make one C: drive?

46. Chris Sparno

June 24, 2010 at 9:05 pm

thanks for this information. I appreciate it.

47. md zamar

July 1, 2010 at 12:28 pm

thank you very much i appreciate for this

48. Praveen

July 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm

My c drive is 145 gb(primary partition) i want to divide it into 2 (say 70 gb n 75gb). but when i select shrink option it shows only 8 mb available to shrink.. plz help me.. i wanna divide c drive.

49. Junaid

July 10, 2010 at 10:40 pm

hello,i have a probem and need assistance of it,wen i created a partition drice,in the i got the message, that this new partition drive will be converted into dynamic drive, and if you this dynamic drive,you will no longer be able extend volume from this dynamic drive,except from the current disk,wat does this mean???and should i continue it by clicking yes or not??waitng for help…

50. Pingback: Windows 7 Ultimate [Super Easy Install] - Lazydesis

51. Akshay

August 27, 2010 at 4:12 pm

good one
    it really worked

52. Jaydee

September 18, 2010 at 7:40 am

just what I wanted!
    was also looking for ways to partition hdd during windows installation like what windows xp has.

53. kiran

September 22, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I have 360 gb hard disk.My doubt is its showing only 333.35 gb in disk management.am using windows 7 OS.
    C: 38.96,E:97.66,y:29.30,z:169.33 and system reserved is 100mb.can i know is it showing correct or no.plz let me know

54. rajesh

September 24, 2010 at 12:20 am

Hi,
    I bought Lenovo laptop recently, it has 2 drives. c drive with 250gb and d drive with 30 gb. OS is windows 7 home premium. Now i am planning to install XP also by using VMWare. For this, do i need to partition my c drive into 2 volumes? or it is not required, if yes, how can i do it?

55. matlada

September 28, 2010 at 3:14 am

thanks for help

56. smsyemek

September 28, 2010 at 3:15 am

To define a D-disk it is necessary to shrink the C-disk.
    Can this be done with data on the c-disk without reformatting the c-disk?

57. Edzoileejones

October 5, 2010 at 9:22 pm

nice. very nice. partitioning my hard drive has always been my problem before. thanks alot

58. Pingback: Wierd Problem!!!

59. himanshu

January 2, 2011 at 8:11 pm

i got error ”dynamic disk are not support by this operting system or server configarution. i am having window 7 can any1 help me

60. Milko

January 11, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I need to extend my C partititon where my windows 7 is … i get the feeling that it can’t be done . Pls help

61. Carthagian traveller

January 20, 2011 at 1:58 am

Thank you..It works..

62. Pingback: Free Partition Managers for Windows to Partition Hard Disk

63. Pingback: Free Partition Managers for Windows to Partition Hard Disk

64. HEAVYDAMAGE

April 25, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Hey guys, could anyone tell me how to extend system partition pls? The only way i know is to reinstall win and format HDD. I dont want to reinstall whole system for this… and the disk management doesnt let me extend it…
    any ideas?

65. mukesh kumar

May 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm

hi all,
    please let me that how can i do partion of my newly purchased note book with windows7 home basic platform.

C:\ has 282 Gb space D:\ has 15 Gb (system recovery data). I tried the shrink option but couldnot got the sucess to do the partion . please help me on the same .

66. Pingback: How to resize a partition in Windows 7 - Windows 7

67. vishal

May 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

Nice work it works……..good job.

Keep posting.

68. vinayak

June 30, 2011 at 12:22 pm

hello frnds,

Please let me that how can i do partion on my new note book with windows 7 Home Basic

C:\ has 451 Gb space D:\ has 15 Gb (system recovery data).

I tried using shrink option but couldn succeed, also i tried with partition magic software intrestingly, i could part it but couldnt make it active.

can anybody provide me the procedures for partition??

69. Amit

July 24, 2011 at 4:59 am

hey guys,

I need to extend volume of C Boot drive. I try to check with management console but it shows disable extend option.i have C,D,E,F drives and some free space but not unallocated space.C drive is physical drive.D,E and F drives are shows Logical drive.also i cannot make unallocated space from free space or after deletion of any volume.please tell me how can i extend c drive with free space.

70. parshant

August 2, 2011 at 10:06 pm

i have 160 gb hdd of wd in my laptop.i have problem in partation of hdd.i had formatted it.but it shows only 149 gb and when i again make partition then it takes only 152626 mb of 1st part.it is not take more then it and it shows
    the size must be at most 152626 mb
    what should i do ??
    plz tell me
    i want 3 part 20gb, 25 gb, & remains

my e-mail id
    parshantyadav.048@gmail.com

71. Demba

August 23, 2011 at 12:38 am

Works perfectly, i did it in very simple steps,i think the step about formatting the disk is a very important, it’s always advisable to use the disk ONLY after its formatted

72. sky

September 1, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I want to share another free resize partition software, easeus partition master, it not only resize partition in windows 7 but also can move partitions. Shrink partition or resize partition from right to left or from left to right.

73. logic

September 7, 2011 at 10:22 am

i have 750 gb hard disk but it shows 685 gb space including OS window7 the remaining 65 gb is hidden somewhere in it how can i recover that space.
    give me suggestion???

74. Pingback: installing Ubuntu 11.04 with many operating systems already installed. | Science Stuff

75. Mithun

September 22, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Hi,

Could someone please tell us when we will shrink volume in win7 so is there are any chances to losses Data or window cruppt.

• Nirmal

September 22, 2011 at 9:23 pm

There will not be any data getting corrupted when you shrink

76. Art

February 17, 2012 at 4:04 am

Thank you very much for very helpful tips on how to partition the hard disk on Windows 7.  Although it does not give me the desired volume of space as I wanted in my hard disk.  At least, I could partition my hard disk into two partition as back up for all my files which is separate partition of drive C or system files.  Thank you very much as this help me in easy partition without purchasing an expensive software for partitioning my hard drive.

77. Bill

March 1, 2012 at 9:51 am

When I click on Shrink I get an error message “The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it”.  Any advice to overcome this error?

78. Prasad

March 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm

i’ve lot of free space in my c drive.But it allows me only some part of that space to shrink

79. casualcases

April 27, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I want to extend the drive c(from 58 to 100gb) but while right clicking i did not find the option of extending volume of c drive

80. casualcases

April 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm

i did not find the option of extending the volume of c drive (shrinking the volume is right there

81. Gnights

May 6, 2012 at 2:27 am

That was too easy! Thank you!!

Running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium on a 128GB SSD drive (and liking it very much, thank you =)) Finally decided to upgrade C: to a 256GB SSD (Seriously, I think going to 512GB would be a sign of illness.). I created a fresh repair disk and image of C: (imaged to a USB drive), swapped the hardware and used the repair disk to restore to the new home of C:. Windows dutifully restored as though to another 128GB SSD and left the rest of the drive as unallocated.

Do I really need a BS degree in MS and to have studied all of the documentation associated with Windows 7 to know how and where to find the answer to “Where’s the beef?!”?

Nah! The answer was right here!

Woohoo!

82. Doctor Phil

July 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm

This is quite useful but i couldn’t click on the expand button after i shrank a file.

83. Elise

August 30, 2012 at 3:53 am

I tired to do what you said, but the drive I need more space on (C) would not let me expand it after shrinking D. Why would itn’t it let me?

84. Martin

September 20, 2012 at 10:14 pm

My OS(C) is full and when shrinking C, it doesn’t let me to extend the size. How come? What should I do?

85. Pingback: How To Create A Hard Disk Partition In Windows Vista | Adsense