How to Make Windows Vista SP1 Installation Permanent

Windows Tips

How to Make Windows Vista SP1 Installation Permanent

Once you have installed Windows Vista SP1 and you have no issues with the service pack, then you can consider making the SP1 installation permanent. The advantage of doing this is that you can reclaim disk space. Vista SP1 takes up lot of disk space for files which are needed in case of SP1 uninstall. Once you make the SP1 installation permanent, you will not be able to uninstall it again.

vista-sp1

To make the SP1 installation permanent, there is a tool called vsp1cln.exe (Vista SP1 Cleaner), which is located in Windows/System32 folder.

Open the command prompt (Win Key +R and type cmd), navigate to Windows/System32 folder and type vsp1cln.exe. You can also run this directly by typing vsp1cln.exe in the run command or double click the file vsp1cln.exe from Windows/System32 folder.

It asks for a conformation and then cleans the SP1 installation files and makes SP1 permanent.

1. imcw

July 14, 2008 at 7:26 am

Thanks for info. But I’m still use XP for my PC.

2. abhishek

July 14, 2008 at 12:46 pm

thanks for tip..will use it

3. eydryan

July 16, 2008 at 1:28 am

about 0.9gb reclaimed. it’s ok i guess, thanks for the tip

4. hanneng

July 17, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for sharing. I just use this to housekeep my pc.

5. Online Advertising

July 24, 2008 at 12:23 am

Seriously…Thanks for a great post

6. robb

July 29, 2008 at 1:52 pm

“…you will not be able to uninstall it again.”

do u mean u can’t uninstall it or what ?
    i really wanna try this but those above statement holds me.
    mind explaining this term of “permanent” ?

thanx

7. Andy

July 29, 2008 at 5:06 pm

I’ve just used it on my Vista machine at work and as eydryan said, it freed up about 0.9gb

I’m going to try it on my Vista machine at home later and see what it does there because that one is 64 bit, and I remember the SP1 installation for that being nearly twice the size of the 32 bit I have at work.

8. Alex

August 2, 2008 at 4:15 am

robb-
    I believe he or she means permanent as in you can’t uninstall SP1 and revert to the OS version before Vista SP1. If for some reason you wanted to revert to your original version of Vista before installing SP1, you wouldn’t be able to do so.

9. kamikaze.cockroach

August 2, 2008 at 9:08 am

FYI, if you slipstreamed SP1 into your Vista disc this is not necessary since a new install will not include pre-SP1 backups.

10. Matt Ellsworth

August 3, 2008 at 4:10 am

awesome idea – thanks for that. I never would have thought of htis.

11. Pingback: Free Disk Space By Making Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Permanent

12. Pingback: A Host of Tips – Week 1

13. Pingback: Vista SP1′i Kal?c? Yaparak Sisteminizde Yer Aç?n | aYYaS Blog!