Communicating online is one of the important aspects in the Web 2.0 world and there are lots of tools and applications to communicate online with your friends. Multi-Protocol IM clients are useful for the fact that several IM clients can be integrated into one software for more effective communication. Here is the list of 15 top Multi-Protocol IM clients for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux (Not all applications are supported by all the three OS).
1. Digsby: Digsby is relatively new IM client which has lot of features to offer. Digsby lets you chat with all your friends on AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Google Talk, and Jabber with one simple to manage buddy list. Digsby is currently supported only in Windows.
2. Pidgin: Pidgin is another popular IM client which supports several clients. Pidgin supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Google Talk, MySpace IM and few others. Pidgin runs on Windows and Linux OS.
3. Adium- Adium is a multi-protocol IM client exclusively for Mac OSX users. It supports almost 17 protocols including AIM, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo, Gtalk and more. It also features OTR encryption, tabbed messaging, file transfer, webkit message display.
4. Trillian Messenger- Trillian supports ICQ, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN, and IRC. Trillian is a all in one program which is completely skinnable. Trillian comes in two varieties, Basic and Pro. Trillian is available only for Windows.
5. Miranda IM- Miranda IM is an open-source multi protocol instant messenger client for Windows. It is smaller, faster and easier to use. It works with various IM protocols including AIM, Google Talk, Gadu-Gadu, IAX, ICQ, IRC, Jabber, MSN, Netsend, TLen, Yahoo and more.
6. Proteus- Proteus is an IM client for Mac OSX. Proteus offers support for AIM (including .Mac accounts), MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Jabber, iChat Rendezvous, Gadu Gadu. It has all the things you need, including a simple drawer to group all your conversations and remove the clutter from your desktop.
7. InstantBird- InstantBird is cross platform multi-protocol IM client. InstantBird is supported on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. It uses the Mozilla rendering engine to display IMs, and the Pidgin libpurple to connect to the different networks. Instantbird supports AIM, Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, ICQ, IRC, MSN, QQ, XMPP, Yahoo!
8. Instan-t Messenger- Instan-t Messenger is a free multi-protocol IM client which supports MSN, AOL, ICQ, Yahoo and Google Talk. It also has a web based messenger service. It also supports multi person video chat.
9. Fire- Fire is a IM client for Mac OSX. It supports the seven most popular Instant Messaging services, AIM, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, Yahoo and Apple Bonjour.
10. Kopete- Kopete is an instant messenger supporting AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, IRC, Gadu-Gadu, Novell GroupWise Messenger, and more. It is designed to be a flexible and extensible multi-protocol system suitable for personal and enterprise use. Kopete is exclusively for Linux.
11. Sim IM- Sim-IM is a multiple protocol instant messenger for Windows, GNU/Linux. It supports Jabber/XMPP, Oscar(ICQ and AOL), Yahoo! and MSN protocols.
12. Open Wengo- OpenWengo is a community of enthusiasts and developers, creating free software products related to communication over IP. The flagship product of the OpenWengo project is a softphone which allows you to make free PC to PC video and voice calls, and to integrate all your IM contacts in one place. Open Wengo is available for Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
13. QNext- Qnext is a Peer-to-Web (P2Web) broadcasting software which allows users to share files and communicate with email and instant messaging contacts. It is cross-platform, compatible with Mac OSX, Windows, and Linux.
14. Meetro- Meetro is a multi-network social messenger with location-based services (LBS). It is compatible with AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger, Gtalk, Jabber, and ICQ. Meetro’s features make it useful for meeting people with similar interests in a given area, as well as bundling multiple messaging protocols into one program. Meetro is software that runs on Windows and Mac OS X operating systems.
15. Centericq- Centericq is a text mode menu- and window-driven instant messaging interface that supports the ICQ, Yahoo!, AIM, MSN, IRC, Jabber, LiveJournal, and Gadu-Gadu protocols. It allows you to send, receive, and forward messages, URLs, SMSs. Centericq is a cross platform client.
16. Ayttm- Ayttm is a universal instant messaging client that provides all-in-one chat functionality for several major instant messaging services from one simple program. Ayttm is developed primarily for Linux.
17. IMVU- IMVU is a graphical instant messaging client with more than 1 million users. The primary focus of IMVU is the ability to use personalized 3D avatars and environments that let the user interact with the person they are chatting with. IMVU is supported only on Windows.
18. Meca- Meca Messenger is an instant messaging client that supports multiple protocols. The program supports sending a message to multiple contacts, file transfer, translation, conversation logging, group chat, sharing skins, searching contacts, and sending offline messages to other Meca users. Meca Messenger is only available for Windows.
If you liked this post, please consider a Digg or Stumble.