Rootkits are one of the most feared types of malwares. Rootkits are most of the time cause for attack of Trojan horses. They usually hide these Trojan horses which can quietly take control of your PC. McAfee’s Anti-Rookit Detective 1.0 is a free software which can prevent the attack of rootkits and remove existing rootkits from your system.
McAfee Rootkit Detective Beta is a program designed and developed by McAfee Avert Labs to pro actively detect and clean rootkits that are running on the system.
McAfee Anti-Rootkit has 5 options which covers registries, files, processes, imports, exports etc.
- Designed to detect the system objects like processes, files and registry that are hidden to the user.
- Provides information about all running processes in the system.
- Allows the user to clean/remove the malicious objects from the system by renaming/deleting the hidden files/registry.
- Allows the user to terminate the malicious processes.
- Users can submit samples using the submission feature present in the tool.
- Users can also collect the samples manually after renaming them and submit to McAfee for further analysis.
The search results are highly technical and its difficult to find out whether the detected is a rootkit or not. You can either delete or rename registry files. In case you are not comfortable with registry settings, its better not to do any changes. The suspected files can be sent to McAfee for analysis by selecting the item and clicking submit. McAfee will get back to you with the file details to the email ID provided.