Anti-Virus Software is an essential need for all Operating system as they are prone for attacks from viruses while connected to internet. But most of the top anti-virus softwares are sharewares, i.e they are not free. Here is a list of 7 top anti-virus softwares for Windows which are free to use.
1. Avast! Home Edition: Avast!
2. AVG Free Edition: AVG free edition is another good solution to free anti-virus software. AVG is easy to use and low on system resources. It features automatic update functionality and real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run. AVG also has a Virus Vault for the safe handling of infected files.
3. Avira AntiVir: Avira AntiVir is another free anti-virus software for Windows. The free version protects against viruses, worms and Trojans, expensive dialers and phishing. AntiVir also provides free support.
4. ClamWin: ClamWin is a Free Anti-virus for Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP and 2003. ClamWin has high detection rates for viruses and spyware. It has automatic downloads of regularly updated Virus Database. It also features a addin to Microsoft Outlook to remove virus-infected attachments automatically.
5. Comodo Anti-Virus: Comodo eliminates Viruses, Worms and Trojans from desktops and networks. It has a Host Intrusion Detection which blocks malware before it can run. It has daily, automatic updates of virus definitions and its simple and easy to use.
6. PC Tools Anti-Virus: With PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition you are protected against the most nefarious cyber-threats attempting to gain access to your PC and personal information. PC Tools AV is supported on Windows XP, Vista and 2000. It detects, quarantines, disinfects and destroys Viruses, Trojans and Worms.
7. ThreatFire: ThreatFire includes advanced protection features including malware, quarantine and removal, rootkit scanner and custom rules settings. ThreatFire is different, it does not rely on signatures, but instead constantly analyzes your computer’s behavior to detect and block any malicious activity.
Which free version do you use in your home PC to protect against viruses?