Microsoft had released Windows 10 Preview early last month and we covered on how to install this version of Windows 10. Towards the end of last month Microsoft released the first update for Windows 10 with few changes. Now the company has released the second update (build 9879) and is available for download. This new build brings in ton of changes and some noteworthy new features to Windows 10.
This build is available to all Windows 10 users via Windows update. In case you do now want to wait for it to download and install on its own – you can go to PC Settings, Update and recovery, Preview builds and click the Check Now button to go get it now.
Here is the list of all changes:
1. The new Windows 10 had a search and task view button on the taskbar which could not be removed, but with this latest update, you can disable the search and also the task view buttons from the taskbar. Just right click on the taskbar and you can see the two options added in this build.
2. Windowing and Gestures:
You can now use Snap Assist when snapping apps across multiple monitors. Microsoft has also introduced new 3 finger gestures for precision touchpads. Here is the list of the new 3 finger gestures for you to try:
- 3 finger up -> Task View
- 3 finger down -> Show Desktop
- 3 finger flick to left or right -> switches to previous app (go back 1)
- 3 finger move left or right -> Alt-Tab (Task View) pops up and you can select the app you want (remove fingers to select)
- 3 finger tap -> Search
With Windows 10, a new option has been added for Onedrive sync and here you can mention whether you want the files to be available offline.
4. File Explorer:
In File Explorer, tweaks have been made and you can now pin your favorite folders to Home.
5 Native MKV support:
You can now play MKV files directly from Windows Media Player (as well as other desktop and modern apps), MKV files will show thumbnails and metadata in File Explorer, support for DLNA and Play with the new build.
There are lots of other changes in the build and more information can be found here.
Some Known issues:
- In some cases you may get a black screen when trying to log-in or unlock. The only option is to hold the power button to hard reboot.
- You will be unable to connect to Distributed File System network locations.
- Some systems may see disk growth of 20GB+ due to driver install duplication. On systems with low disk space this can block setup and cause a rollback to the previous build.
- Skype calls will disconnect and Music will stop playing if those apps are minimized.
- There are several known issues with screen sharing with Lync.