Although most of us have installed anti-Virus software on your PC (free or paid versions), there might be some situations where even the best anti-virus software can miss an infection to your PC. Most of the top anti-virus makers also provide with an free online scanner. Although the online scanner is not sufficient for detecting all the viruses or malwares, this can be used along with your install anti-virus. Here is the list of top 7 online scanners.
1. Kaspersky Online Scanner: The Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner scans your computer for malicious code and offers the same exceptional detection rates as other Kaspersky Lab products. It cannot remove any malwares found during scan. It works fine with IE and Firefox.
2. BitDefender Online Scanner: Although BitDefender online scanner works only with IE, it can detect and remove malwares infected on your PC.
3. ESET Online Scanner: The ESET Online Scanner is a user-friendly, powerful online antivirus utility and can remove malware—viruses, spyware, adware, worms, trojans, and more from any PC utilizing only a web browser.
4. Trend Micro HouseCall: Trend Micro HouseCall is an application for checking whether your computer has been infected by viruses, spyware, or other malware. HouseCall performs additional security checks to identify and fix vulnerabilities to prevent re-infection. This scanner works with IE and Firefox.
5. Panda ActiveScan 2.0: ActiveScan 2.0 is an advanced online scanner based on Collective Intelligence (scanning in-the-cloud) that detects malware that traditional security solutions cannot detect.
6. F-Secure Online Scanner: F-Secure Online Virus Scanner can find out if your computer is infected, and disinfect your computer if needed. The product will automatically download the necessary components and virus definition databases as it is started. It require IE for scanning.
7. McAfee FreeScan: McAfee FreeScan helps you detect thousands of viruses on your computer. Based on the award-winning McAfee VirusScan engine, FreeScan searches for viruses, including the latest known viruses, and displays a detailed list of any infected files.
If you have performed online scanning with any other products, please do share your views.