5 Ways to Send Large Files through Email

Reviews

5 Ways to Send Large Files through Email

Almost all the Email service providers have restriction on the size of attachments that can be sent with a mail. Most of the Email services provide upto 20MB attachment size. If you ever wanted to send large files through Email, here are the options available.

1. YouSendItYouSendIt is a nice way to share large files online. It allows you to send files up to 100MB without creating an account. Once you have uploaded the file to YouSendIt, an email is sent to the recipient, where they are provided with a link to download the file.

You send it
The download is available for 7 days and includes advertising on the page. A business plus account is also available without advertising and 2GB limit.

2. DropSend- With a DropSend free account, you can send upto 1GB size and 250MB of online storage with 5 sends per month. There is no need to create an account for sending the file, unlike some of the other services.

Drop Send
The company also offers a desktop client for both Windows and Mac.

3. SendSpace- SendSpace allows you to send files upto 300MB. SendSpace gives you unlimited uploads and downloads.

Send Space
SendSpace allows you to send files even without having a registered account, even though free registered account gives more features like tracking the uploaded file.

4. MegaUpload- MegaUpload is a leading provider of online storage and they allows to send files up to 500MB, offers ad-financed free and affordable premium online storage.

Mega Upload

5. MailBigFile- MailBigFile is another service which allows you to send large files online without registration. can send files up to 100MB.

MailBigFiles
They also have a pro account with 1GB limit and more features.

There are also other online storage service which allows you to share files.

Which service do you use to send large files? Please share your thoughts on the service that you use.

test

1. Technobuzz.net

July 31, 2007 at 4:01 pm

Nice Post. DropSend is the best one 😀

2. Shashank

July 31, 2007 at 5:10 pm

4shared and Megaupload i ve used a long time ago…now gmail also has increased its limit..

3. Valentin

July 31, 2007 at 5:26 pm

Nice review.

Yet, once one own a web-space … 😛

July 31, 2007 at 6:06 pm

@Technobuzz,
    I too agree with you, dropsend has lot of features.

@Valentin,
    Thanks for the visit.

5. kanak

July 31, 2007 at 6:21 pm

till now never used any such service. gmail was enough for me to tansfer mp3 , or huge picture files etc. Will surely try these out, at time of necessity. hey nirmal , is there any search facility available for any of these.

July 31, 2007 at 6:28 pm

@Kanak,
    GMail has a limit of 20 MB attachment I think, in case you have a bigger file like a software or something, this will be useful. I don’t think there is any search facility, BTW what type of search are you referring?

7. Shankar Ganesh

July 31, 2007 at 6:39 pm

Informative post there. I’ve tried YouSendIt. Have to explore other services.

8. kanak

July 31, 2007 at 7:07 pm

@nirmal Actually , so many users upload files. So by any means to search files based on file name or file type on these servers.

9. Vaibhav

July 31, 2007 at 7:16 pm

add one more. PANDO.com this is one of the good services… :mrgreen:

July 31, 2007 at 7:18 pm

@Kanak,
    I think there is no way to track the uploaded files unless you create an account, many of these provide creating accounts.

@Vaibhav,
    Thanks for informing about Pando, I just checked it. Their service is good I think.

11. CristianR

July 31, 2007 at 10:03 pm

How about rapidshare ? 🙂

12. Shivaranjan

July 31, 2007 at 11:24 pm

I would suggest you tryout Gigasize also.

13. Clara

August 1, 2007 at 12:34 am

I’ve heard alot about Yousendit though I’ve never used such services but this list will certainly come in handy. Thanks for the compliation.

14. Grace

August 1, 2007 at 2:50 am

Even though I don’t usually send large files online because they’re usually confidential, I like Drop Send and You Send It. I like You Send It’s 2gb feature. 🙂

15. Rishi

August 1, 2007 at 9:05 am

I have been using DropSend and MegaUpload toolbar for a long time and very happy with them. One thing I think you missed is Pando, it is also very good and safe file sharing s/w.

16. dEEPAK

August 1, 2007 at 9:47 am

I used to use YouSendIt in the past.. But it’s not feasible for sending large files with a slow internet connection like mine.. SO now I use Pando.. It has a software so it’s possible to pause and resume the transfers whenever you want..

August 1, 2007 at 10:38 am

@Cristian,
    Generally I dont use Rapid share. 🙂

@Shivaranjan,
    I’ll add it to the list.

@Clara,
    Glad that you liked the compilation.

@Rishi and Deepak,
    I’ll add Pando to the list, looks like many have favored it. 🙂

18. Rishi

August 1, 2007 at 10:55 am

Yes Nirmal, Pando is worth a try, give it a look or in the language of blogger – a review!

19. Vijay

August 1, 2007 at 5:44 pm

I am currently using YouSendIt only. Guess I will have to give the others a shot as well

20. Dj Flush

August 1, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Nice list there Nirmal 🙂

But I have never felt the need to send files larger than 20 MB over email which Gmail already allows

However in future if I ever need to send large files I have your post bookmarked for that time 😀

August 1, 2007 at 6:21 pm

@Vijay,
    I think you can try DropSend, the service is pretty good and also Pando as many have voted for it.

@DJ,
    Glad that you liked the list. In normal cases we may not send files more than 20MB, but if you need to share some movies, then you can check out this list. 🙂

22. Benedict Herold

August 1, 2007 at 10:57 pm

Haven’t tried anyone these other than DivShare! I didn’t face a situation of sending big file online yet.!

23. chinna

August 3, 2007 at 12:04 am

I can suggest one more, sharebigfile

24. Pingback: Speed Linking -5 at Technology Bites

25. Ashish Mohta

August 5, 2007 at 8:49 am

No doubt a good collection, but If i see from a general use it will be not be useful. The reason being the internet speed. Uploading 1gb or even 500MB of data will take huge amount of time. On The other hand downloading it on the other end will take the same.

Such huge amount of data is mostly used by big giants who have huge satellite links which give them bandwidth which allows them to download 1gb of data in around 30 minutes.

Now Imagine if a common user tries to send a movie across how much time it will take both to upload and download it.

August 5, 2007 at 9:05 am

@Ashish,
    I agree with you on some points that you need a high speed internet connection to upload and download.

If you consider Rapidshare how many movie does it have, I feel its very vast, so instead of using a rapid share feature, these options will directly send the link to the people and users needed. I feel if people have time to upload movies and softwares to Rapid share, then these services are also useful.

August 5, 2007 at 9:08 am

@Ashish,
    One more thing I wanted to tell was consider a software around 50 MB, not the big sizes(500MB) as mentioned by you. In this case how do you send it? 🙂 I feel this is the best option rather than splitting the software in 2-3 parts and attaching with mail.

28. Ashish Mohta

August 5, 2007 at 9:16 am

@Nirmal:

Agreed if the size is limited within 100 Mb but if you are trying to share movies and download it will need considerable time, No matter how fast is the server but if you have slow internet connection or even moderate , it will need good time.

Now looking on the other side people do have time to download as they can just keep the system on and go to bed lol.

29. yplow98

August 9, 2007 at 7:22 pm

nice review 😀

30. texasbrian

August 29, 2007 at 8:41 pm

I use transferbigfiles.com and I love it.

31. Jeff Barson

September 15, 2007 at 7:09 pm

Email’s SMTP going to have to be replaced to make things like large file transfers work the way they should. Going to have to be a revolution.

32. Azmeen

September 17, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Stumbled on this and must say that it’s pretty useful.

Thanks for sharing.

September 17, 2007 at 5:17 pm

@Azmeen,
    Thanks for the Stumble.

34. Josh Davis

September 18, 2007 at 10:49 pm

This is great for organizations with e-mail size limitations (yeah, their still out there).,

35. Ankit

September 18, 2007 at 11:11 pm

There is also http://www.mydatabus.com . It offers 5GB with 250MB attachments for free users. Advantage here is there is no time limit for keeping the files on the server. They can stay put as long as you dont delete them. Yousend it also a good service…

36. newkiraj

September 23, 2007 at 3:01 am

4 online storage, box.net is the best i’ve used, although not much space with a free accouunt. They have a widget to share ur files on ur site, and if u have music on there the widget can b used as a player too

great list 😉

37. netking

October 11, 2007 at 9:23 pm

There’s a free service provided by a french ISP.

You can reach it on dl.free.fr
    (google translated here :http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdl.free.fr&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8)

You can send files up to 1gb via HTTP and 10gb (!!!) via FTP.

Files will be stocked as long as a 30 days period without any dl is reached. It generates a temporary url (or a temporary FTP account, depending on your choice).

This is really simple and useful and the bandwidth is always at the top…

Cheers…

38. Thao

April 10, 2008 at 9:27 am

Send6.com should be considered. You can send a file upto 4GB using Send6 Wizard. This is very impressed caused other application only allows you upto 2GB.

39. Gravity

August 29, 2008 at 11:25 pm

send6.com is awesome. i love the post too… amazing.

40. Musab

September 13, 2008 at 11:18 am

Awsome list! thanks for sharing

41. slym

November 25, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Every one working on projects or otherwise must have faced problem in transferring very big files over net, as every email service have kept a limit to size of attachment.
    To overcome this problems hyper email services comes into life and rescue user from the problem, files are uploaded on the ftp server and a link is provided to you, which you can send to the desired reciever. when clicked on link it can be downloaded at offsite location and the best part is most of them comes free and with some additional features at nominal fee. I am using a free version and never faced problem…http://www.knowtheworldaround.com

42. Jose

March 31, 2009 at 2:12 am

Heyyy!!!! Some months ago, I’d looking for a website to send big files. I’ve found http://www.shootthefile.com, and it’s great.

43. Dan

October 28, 2009 at 7:55 pm

our company http://www.sharefile.com also offers a way to send large files.

we offer a 30 day FREE trial.

44. Deepak Porichha

December 26, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Awesome comments…. was just looking for one site but got much more than expectations.

45. Brandon Smith

December 29, 2010 at 9:45 am

You can use Securely Send to send files up to 2gb for free and track their status.

46. Joan

December 30, 2010 at 12:56 am

Great list Nirmal! I might have to give some of them a try.

I used to use Yousendit, but switched over to http://www.filesdirect.com – every account gets all the features, like 30GB storage to start, full tracking and free custom dropboxes.

47. mohd aqeel

April 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Hello Friends i want to share u this Excellent Method of Sending large file (even 1GB) without any problem.

The reciever can pause and download again. the download will continue from where the user paused. e.g. if user paused (or Power problem) at 25.6% the download will start from the same position 25.6%…

Want to know more…?
    Visit my Web Site & Contact me VIA My E-mail Address
    Have a Nice Day..

Bye-Bye…

48. Justin Hawley

January 23, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Top website for sending large files online in my book is http://www.getalink.com. It’s ultra fast, doesn’t require an account, and allows up to 4GB for the free version. Plus, it looks great and makes my day go better with the great photos.