With Gmail mail checkers, its always easy to check mails without keeping the Gmail inbox open throughout the day. Here is the list of top 10 Gmail mail notifiers for Windows and Mac OS X.
1. Gmail Notifier
The Gmail Notifier is an application that alerts you when you have new Gmail messages. It displays an icon in your system tray to let you know if you have unread Gmail messages, and shows you their subjects, senders and snippets, all without your having to open a web browser. Gmail Notifier offers stylish and useful new mail announcements for a Gmail account. It gives a great overview of new messages, but doesn’t allow you to highlight or ignore certain mail with filters.
GAlert (Google Alert) is an easy to use and high performance skinnable Google notifier supports Google News, multiple Gmail accounts, label filters and automatic login. It brings clean, easy and elegant look to the way people check their new message.
- Support Google News instant notification.
- Support multiple Gmail accounts and Gmail Label filters
- Support easy automatic login through context menu and system wide Hot Key.
- Support using Gmail to send mail from mailto: link.
- Support skinnable Desktop Alert Window and customizable virtual effect, bring clean and elegant look to your desktop (How to create skin for GAlert)
- Support playing different audio formats (*.wav, *.mp3) etc when new email arrives.
- Protect Gmail users’ privacy by using HTTPs internet connections and Blowfish account passwords encryption.
- Support all windows browsers (IE, FireFox, Mozilla, Opera and many more).
- Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP/2003/Vista operating systems
3. Gmail Counter
Checks your Gmail account and displays the number of new mails you have. Clicking on the Gadget then takes you to your inbox. This is a windows Vista Gadget.
- Windows Vista
4. Gmail Notifier Firefox Extension
Allows checking for new Gmail messages for multiple Gmail accounts directly from the browser’s UI. A status bar item will show once installed, and a toolbar item can be added by customizing the toolbar. Gmail Notifier informs you about new messages in a Gmail account via icons in either a Mozilla Firefox toolbar or the status bar, and you can learn which Gmail labels have unread messages, too.
- Monitor multiple Gmail accounts from within your Mozilla-based browser.
- Statusbar item available for all browsers, and Firefox users get a toolbar item as well.
- Supports Gmail Hosted accounts. Simply use email@example.com as the username in the notifier.
GmailGeiger is a lightweight and customizable mail notifier for the Gmail service.
GmailGeiger has these great features:
- Multiple accounts
- Check only one Gmail label
- Black Glass, Colorized and Transparent themes
- Themeable Icon
- Customizable new mail notification sounds
- Hide when there are no messages
- Adjustable check times
- Optional account label
6. Gmail Status
GmailStatus is a Gmail notifier for Apple Macintosh users. It installs itself in the OS X menubar and shows the number of unread messages in the inbox.
- User-definable hotkey opens Gmail inbox in browser.
- Choose “Check now” to check for new messages at any time.
- Choose “Open inbox” to open Gmail in your browser.
- Choose “New message” to compose a new message in Gmail.
- See labels and their unread count. Open labels in the browser.
- Move the mouse over the menubar icon to see current account usage.
- Use Gmail as your default application for writing messages.
- Support for Growl.
- Auto-checks for newer version.
- Also works through a proxy (set proxy for http and https in your network settings)
- Supported languages: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese.
- Mac OS X 10.3 or higher and a Gmail account
7. Google Notifier for Mac
Similar to Gmail notifier for Windows, Google also provides notifier for Mac OS X. Gmail alert mechanism for the OS X menu bar that also previews senders and subjects, provides many shortcuts to the Gmail site and can make Gmail the default OS X mail program.
Growl notifications are small windows showing some text. Out of the box, Google Notifier shows its own pop-up and doesn’t sends out those notifications, but Gmail+Growl helps Google Notifier send Growl notifications instead. Gmail+Growl is a plugin for Google Notifier. Gmail+Growl is a notifier for Mac OS X.
9. Gmail Checker Widget
This is a very simple dashboard widget that displays the number of unread messages in your Gmail account. It is in the form of a British postage stamp. The stamp will turn red when you have mail waiting – the number will also increase to display the number of unread messages. Clicking on the stamp will open your mail inbox in your default web-browser. The default color of stamp is blue.
Gee! is again an Gmail checker for Mac OS X. Its menu bar icon displays the number of new messages and the menu gives you the details. but you cannot interact with new mail right from Gee!. Gee! can be configured to play a sound when new mail arrives and rotate its icon to grab your attention. New email information appears in the drop-down menu.
- Macintosh OS X 10.3 (Panther) or later. Works in Tiger.
If you are using any other widget for Gmail mail notification, please share it in comments.