Towards the end of December, Xiaomi announced the 4G variant of the Redmi Note and it went on sale on December 30th and this device supports 4G LTE in India. The device comes with a 5.5 inch HP display with IPS technology and is powered by a 1.6 Ghz Quad Core processor from Snapdragon with Adreno 405GPU. The device has 2GB of RAM and also comes with 8GB internal storage which is expandable to 64GB via microSD card. The phone also comes with a 13MP rear camera with LED flash and 1080p recording. The phone also features a 5MP camera for video calls and Selfie.
It runs on Android KitKat with MIUI which is a custom UI from the company. At launch of the device the Android version was 4.4.2. At the launch of Xiaomi Mi4 in India, company announced the plans to update all devices to MIUI 6. MIUI for Mi3 was released soon after that and now we have MIUI v6 for Redmi Note 4G. As of now the update is available only via manual update and OTA will follow in couple of weeks.
Related Reading: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4G Review
In this tutorial we will show you how to manually install the update on your Redmi Note 4G.
Important Note: This update will work only on the 4G variant of Redmi Note, please do not try on the 3G variant. Remember to take a backup of your files before updating (update will not wipe your storage).
Here is the video demo on how to install update.
Steps to Update:
1. First download the MIUI 6 update for Redmi Note 4G from here. (official update).
2. Copy this zip file into your phone by connecting to PC via USB cable. You can copy the file into downloaded_ROM folder (or any other folder of your choice).
3. Now open the Updater app on the device and click on menu button. You will see the option “Select update package”
4. Now browse for the zip file which we copied into the device in step 2.
5. Now click Update now button and the process will start.
The update process takes around 10 minutes or so. Be patient till the time the update is installed. The phone will automatically reboot and you will have MIUI 6 on Redmi Note 4G.
Here are some of the screenshots of MIUI 6 on Redmi Note.
After the update, the UI looks smoother and more responsive and the Android version is now at 4.4.4 KitKat. So if you have Redmi Note 4G, you can now try this method and update your device.