Nokia has launched its new flagship phone Lumia 925 at an event in London yesterday. With Lumia 925, Nokia has gone away from plastic body to all new aluminium frame making the phone much lighter than Lumia 920 and thereby addressing the problem that Lumia 920 is heavy for use. New Lumia 925 is a lot slimmer and lighter than the Lumia 920.
While the specifications of Lumia 925 has gone largely unchanged, there are minor changes. Along with the release of Lumia 925, Nokia had also announced Lumia 928 (officially announced few days back) and this is exclusive to Verizon Wireless.
So is Lumia 925, the best Windows Phone out there? Lets check out the good and bad of Lumia 925.
What’s Good about Lumia 925:
1. Design: Lumia 925 comes with all new design and made of aluminium making it lighter to use. The design is a lot better than Lumia 920 and slimmer as well. So in overall, it is better phone to use with slimmer and lighter profile. Lumia 925 is 139g, while 920 is 185g and Lumia 928 is 162g.
2. Camera: The camera unit in Lumia 925 is made better with the 6 lens layout when compared to 5 lens in Lumia 920. This has improved the low light photography aspects of the device. While Lumia 920 itself is the best phone available today for low light photography, Lumia 925 makes this better with ISO levels reaching up to 3200.
3. Display: The Lumia 925 display is AMOLED while Lumia 920 has IPS. AMOLED display makes it better to read and also the sunlight readability has improved a lot in Lumia 925. Lumia 928 also sports the AMOLED display.
4. Smart Camera App: Nokia announced the new Smart Camera app for Lumia 925 with additional capabilities like removing objects from photos and many more other features. Although this app will arrive on all Lumia phones with the Amber update, the app works best with Lumia 925 as it has the best camera unit.
What’s Bad about Lumia 925:
1. Low Storage: We are not sure why Nokia chose to have only 16GB on-board memory on the device when Lumia 920 had 32GB and also with the current standards almost all high end devices have 32GB option. There is no support for microSD card as well and this could be a problem for users who need more memory to load their songs and movies.
2. No Wireless Charging: Yes Lumia 925 does support wireless charging, but not out of the box. This means that you need to get the additional wireless charging case for Lumia 925 (similar to Lumia 720) to change the phone using Wireless charger. Although wireless charging is still a luxury feature, Lumia 920 and Lumia 928 supports them. The main reason for removing it could be to reduce the thickness of the phone.
3. No Xenon Flash: While the camera of Lumia 925 is the best among Lumia 920 and Lumia 928, there is no Xenon flash. It uses the dual LED flash on Lumia 920 while Lumia 928 comes with Xenon flash.
The technical specifications of Lumia 920, Lumia 925 and Lumia 928 are almost similar with same processor, 1GB RAM, similar connectivity options and all running the latest Windows Phone 8.