Windows Vista Tips: Shutdown your System Instantly

Tips and Tricks

Windows Vista Tips: Shutdown your System Instantly

When you press the power button on your PC, you can shut down your PC instantly without going through number of clicks. In order to do this, navigate to Power Options in your PC. Click start button, type Power Options and click enter. In the top left area, you can see a link “Choose what the power button does”.

Under the Power button options, select “Shut down” for “when I press the power button”. Finally click save changes.

power-settings.gif

Next time you press the power button on your PC, it shut downs your computer.

1. Joel

February 23, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Yeah you can even change the sleep button in the start menu in Vista to shutdown…Its really helpful as I never use sleep button….I either shutdown or it automatically goes to sleep after sometime…

2. Sumesh

February 23, 2008 at 3:08 pm

A bit unrelated, but I saw the other day that you were passionately arguing for Windows – which is fine.

But I also read you haven’t used Mac OS X much, and then you say that it is not as good as it is hyped up to be. I’d like to know an explanation to that contradictory statement 😉

I used Macbook for a few weeks when I went to UAE, and am in total admiration of it. So many little things make sense, and they’re all usually things that Windows screws up. Also, the argument about higher price is just ignorant fools ranting (I hope you’ve not ranted) 😀 I’ll be glad to explain more if you need so.

And again, this is just a friendly question I have – not here for a big debate (seeing how most Apple-related stuff go that way)

February 23, 2008 at 5:03 pm

@Joel,
    Even I too use the sleep button relatively less.

@Sumesh,
    I never argued for Windows or said mac is not worth it. I never said that. I too have used Mac lot of times although I do not own it. Please tell me when I said Mac is not worth it?

Well where did you read that higher price is not a important factor, apart from few techies where do you find the Mac book. I cant reveal much here because of constraints.
    What I said what Mac higher is very important atleast in India, where people die for lower priced items. Thats all I can say, but do not forget to tell me where said Mac is not worth.

4. Shashank

February 24, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Nice tip ..btw i use power button for quick hibernate.

5. Sumesh

March 3, 2008 at 5:45 pm

@Nirmal: It was not on your own blog, but someone else’s blog. I remember it well, and maybe some googling will bring it up.

I can understand your constraints. As for the price, the cheapest Apple (Macbook) is much better in performance than a similarly priced Windoze notebook. It is not because of hardware, but because Apple knows the hardware precisely and optimizes it. So, given $1099, I would certainly pick up a Macbook (I am gonna, in April).

As for uber cheap, it exists mostly for desktops. Among laptops, Macbook isnt much more expensive.

And yes, Apple products are priced atrociously in India, which might explain your grit against it.

Besides, Apple IS for techies and geeks – they do not claim to want to dominate the world. They’re a company that’s happy with sub-10% market share (which is extremely loyal and passionate, btw). So there goes your argument of lower priced items and Indians.

6. Nirmal

March 3, 2008 at 6:35 pm

@Sumesh,
    I think you are mentioning about Kanak’s blog. You might be referring to this post- http://www.tecfre.com/fight-for-slimness-lenovos-thinkpad-x300-to-compete-with-mac-book-air/

7. Nirmal

March 3, 2008 at 6:36 pm

@Sumesh,
    And that the exact reason why Apple is not hit in India.

8. franbogado

May 13, 2010 at 11:07 am

I’ve created a shorcut buttom: “%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00”.
    It shuts down the computer in a few seconds!