How to Map Skydrive as Network Drive in Windows

Tutorial

How to Map Skydrive as Network Drive in Windows

We have covered free tools like Skydrive Explorer and also Gladinet which can help you to access Windows Live Skydrive as a network drive. If you do not want to use a third party tool to access Windows Live Skydrive, you can still map it as a network drive and access any folder in Skydrive. For mapping Skydrive to Windows Explorer, we are using the SSL connection and for this we need the unique ID (WebDAV access) for connecting which can be obtained using a small portable tool.

windows-live-skydrive

1. First step is to get the WebDAV access address for your Skydrive account. For this there is a simple portable tool called SkyDrive Simple Viewer developed by Mike. Run the tool and login to your Skydrive and select the folder which you want to map.

WebDAV Address

In the image above, you can see an address corresponding to the folder I have selected. The address looks like this-

Here the sdfsd24645759 refers to the path which is the same as a personal sub domain when logging on to SkyDrive the normal way from your web browser. It can look like “http://cid-sdfsd24645759.skydrive.live.com/”. The sub domain cdckda refers to the your account and the folder you are trying to access.

2. Next step you need to make some modification to the URL.

The original URL- https://cdckda.docs.live.net/sdfsd24645759/Documents

Modified URL- \cdckda.docs.live.net@SSLsdfsd24645759Documents

We are connecting using the SSL for Windows Live Skydrive.

3. Open Windows Explorer, right click on the Network and select Map Network Drive.

Map Network Drive

4. In the Map Network Drive option, enter the folder as \cdckda.docs.live.net@SSLsdfsd24645759Documents. You can also chose to reconnect at Login and if you want to connect using multiple account, check the second box as well.

Mapping Drive

5. It will prompt you to enter the Windows Live credentials after attempting to connect to Skydrive.

Now the network drive will be connected and you can see the drive in Window Explorer.

Network Drive Mapped

Thanks to Mike for this detailed tutorial.

1. Mike Plate

February 2, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Great summarization of how to use the tool. I’m glad you found it useful.

2. ArpitNext

February 8, 2010 at 5:56 am

Another similar tool is “SkyDrive Explorer”. I love it 🙂

3. Jason

February 10, 2010 at 8:45 am

Very cool but the drive name that shows up makes me want to barf, especially when I was hoping to make this a Z: drive, but instead it is asdfjasod.docs.live.net@SSL

oh well a small price to pay..a little barf never killed anyone

4. oldkraut

March 7, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Great work! Thank you very much for this documentation.

5. josh

April 7, 2010 at 3:47 am

just cuz im obnoxious like this.. actually people can die from barfing… but anyways… thanks for the tutorial! i hate using the web interface!!!

6. Peter

April 16, 2010 at 10:53 am

Hi I was glad to see your post on how to network Map Skydrive. I downloaded the Skydrive viewer and tried to run it. I found that it replyed I had the wrong username or password. I know the username and Password are correct, I can log on to Skydrive directly. Any Ideas? Thanks

7. Praneeth

April 26, 2010 at 9:22 pm

@Peter – try changing ur network settings.. my office network doesn’t allow connections from the Skydrive Viewer.. I disconnected and connected using another open wifi and it connected and brings up all the addresses.

must be the same for you.

8. fgh

April 29, 2010 at 12:01 am

I keep getting an error saying the network could not be mapped on windows xp..

9. Pingback: WELSTech » Blog Archive » 130 – More iPad Ammunition

10. jeremy

May 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Drive always fails to reconnect on Windows 7 restart. Any suggestions?

11. Vitas

May 9, 2010 at 1:12 am

It does not work. One address that DumpUrls gives me looks like this:
    but mapping this address does not work:
    \\l182o2.docs.live.net@SSL\cbc0de0044197e09\TODO
    Was there a change recently which broke this or do I have some problem with my ISP blocking filesharing over SSL?

• Daniel Harris

March 24, 2011 at 6:07 pm

You are mapping it wrong.

I believe it should be:

\\l182o2.docs.live.net@SSLcbc0de0044197e09TODO

You have slashes in the middle. Hope that helps. I noticed most people with this issue are mapping it with too many slahes.

Always double check what you have typed before anything else..

• manprit atwal

October 14, 2011 at 4:52 am

yes you are correct this is the correct way we were mapping it wrong before

12. Scott

May 11, 2010 at 9:11 am

Gladinet FTW

13. FFXD

May 14, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Excellent tutorial… thanks for sharing.

14. arnab

June 6, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Getting a drive is useful because we can share the same drive in multiple computers (linux as well) unless I can figure out how to map drives in linux.

Thanks for the useful tips.

15. Mark

June 9, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Type your comment here..I run the console tool and get the following URL:
    which I translate to:
    \\cqlg7s.docs.live.net@SSL\e10f30688e80ea25\^.Public
    but when I use this in the ‘Map Network Drive’ dialog I get the error:
    “The network path … could not be found”
    I’m using XP still (I know, I know….)
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

• Daniel Harris

March 24, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Hi there,

You are also mapping incorrectly.

16. Karthik

June 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Works great.. Very helpful.
    Thanks! =)

17. jeremy

July 8, 2010 at 3:10 am

Does this work for Windows XP? Or is there another workaround besides the pay programs? It looks like it doesn’t like the network address.

18. Ron

July 11, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I am able to connect to my Skydrive folder but when I try to upload a 13.5KB file I get an error saying the file “is too large for the destination file system.” Huh? 13.5 Kilobytes is tiny.

19. Bilgitay

July 17, 2010 at 4:58 pm

For the ones having problems in XP, run Add Network Place Wizard. When asked for the address, just copy and paste the URL from the SkyDrive Simple Viewer. No modification to the URL. needed. Bonne appetite!

20. Axel

July 26, 2010 at 1:57 am

I have the same problem as Ron. I try to copy a tiny file the network drive and windows complains “too large for the destination file system”. This is on Windows7 64bit. Any ideas ?

21. Michael Jensen

August 6, 2010 at 1:01 am

I also get the “the file is too large for the destination file system” error using this method — It happened on a 90kb file, but I was able to drag and drop the file using the manual interface, when I looked on my map drive it was there, still 90kb and nothing wrong.

So the message is definitely erroneous, but what’s the fix?

22. scottk

August 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

hmm….i can see the drive fine after i map it but i get permission denied when trying to copy a file. i can however create new folders just fine.

23. Peter7

August 21, 2010 at 8:01 pm

There is a problem with the solution. Mapping the drive works fine. However, you will get the message “the file is too large for the destination file system”. This is because you can only copy files with extensions like DOC, XLS, PDF. I was even able to copy a DBF file. When you try to copy EXE, ZIP or others, you get the error. Any suggestions?

24. mike

September 4, 2010 at 3:42 pm

no go for my XP PC (cannot find the share).
    no go on my WM2003SE pocket PC with Resco Explorer – same issue

This apporach (mapping a cloud storage device as a network drive to any system) would be the ultimate and ONLY useful approach for online file access, albeit it seems not to work with any of the currently services I tried, too bad…

25. Daniel Macré

September 17, 2010 at 1:11 am

Hello,
    I get the same problem. I can dowload files from SkyDrive but I cannot copy any file to it. I can create a new folder but then I cannot rename it afterwards.
    I run XP Home version SP3.
    Did you find a solution to this problem?

26. Zach

October 20, 2010 at 12:24 am

I’m having the extension problem that everyone else is having. Anyone have any idea how to get around this problem? I was hoping to use the skydrive as a file storage for web files.

Thanks

27. Riccardo

November 5, 2010 at 7:30 am

I installed Gladinet & SDExplorer and I can copy any files without any problems.

But using Windows 7 64 Bit Network mapping method as described here I cant copy any jpg files in Windows Explorer. Only doc files and stuff.

I get a Destination Folder Access Denied: You need permission to perform this action

Im confused since it does work with Office 2010, with Gladinet and SDExplorer.

Anyhelp is appreciated.

28. Tony

November 5, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I created a little cmd file to deal with the file extension limitations. It will add a “.bak” extension to a file to allow it to be copied to the mapped SkyDrive. I use the S: drive but you can change it to whatever mapping you use. Then you can use the SendTo shell option to copy the files to SkyDrive.

rem Syntax: SkyBack {filepath}
    rem Copies files to the S: drive appending a .bak extension
    rem Note: add a shortcut to this batch file in the SendTo folder
    rem and make sure there is no startup directory specified (it should be blank)

copy %~nx1 S:%~nx1.bak
    pause

• Michael Schipp

January 18, 2011 at 8:21 am

modified script – now takes files with spaces in them and also uses the directory structure off the source drive. (you need to create the folder structure first – use xcopy source dest with the /t switch.

Echo off
      rem Syntax: SkyBack {filepath}
      rem Copies files to the U: drive appending a .bak extension
      rem Note: add a shortcut to this batch file in the SendTo folder
      rem and make sure there is no startup directory specified (it should be blank)

copy “%~dpnx1” “U:%~pnx1.bak”

pause

• Zarabeth

August 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Could you modify it to check the 50MB limit? Also, is there a way to choose multiple files? It only copies the first one….

29. Chris Eytcheson

December 28, 2010 at 12:08 am

I had trouble doing this too.
    I created a blog with my solution here:

30. Landon Aaaron

January 13, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Awesome tutorial! I use to be able to map a network drive to skydrive simply by copying the web address to that skydrive folder, but recently when I logged into windows it didn’t reconnect the drive and I clicked on disconnect which completely removed the drive from My Computer. When I went to re set it up it wouldn’t connect. This method works like a charm though, thanks.

31. Pingback: Access Windows Live Skydrive from Windows Explorer with SDExplorer

32. Pingback: Mapping SkyDrive as a Network drive in windows « Philip Hendry's Blog

33. Eric

March 11, 2011 at 10:42 am

Apparently this way doesn’t work anymore, but I figured out how to make it work. Go to Map Network Drive (like before), but this time, put in the entire link that you get from SkyDrive Simple Viewer. I got it set up like that easily and I’m able to transfer text documents but for some reason I can’t transfer images. If anyone can figure out how to transfer images this way, please let me know.

34. minjun

March 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm

It’s very useful, thank you very much!

35. mike

April 3, 2011 at 4:41 am

36. Project Mayu

May 13, 2011 at 10:47 am

It works but shows the total and free space of the C drive
    My Sky drive is not 1.81 TB with 1.16TB of free space

37. Ryan

June 21, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Whenever I enter my username and password into the Simple Viewer application, it tells me that I have 0 folders in SkyDrive. Has anyone else encountered this issue and/or figured out a solution?

38. Kevin Remde

June 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Are you going to update these instructions soon, now that SkyDrive appears to have changed a bit yesterday (6/20/11)?

39. Pingback: Smart användning av Microsoft SkyDrive | Really Off Topic

40. Karim

July 29, 2011 at 6:28 am

Thanks for the instructions. Had to go to EI and set auto detect off for lan and finally connected.
    Now it comes up just like another drive. My issue is that it says the folder is empty and I cannot see any files. I know I have over 25 files.

41. Tom C

August 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm

When I run Mike Plate’s command line thing, it just comes up with < not expected at this time

Why is this?

42. Nico

August 9, 2011 at 3:59 am

I have tried this on several machines. Win7 and win2008R2.

It works fine if i use the slashes (backslashes also shown in pic 5.) \\q6rpe5.docs.live.net@SSL\2984629647354\Skydrive_online

If i use it without the backslashes in path it looks like its connected but drive is empty. Also write “WWWDavR..” in front of the maped drive.

I have another machine with windows 7 that just wont connect with or without slashes. Also tried remove “auto settings” in IE Lan connections. any ideas? i will return if i find the “bug”

• Jeff08

August 9, 2011 at 11:29 pm

@ Nico: I have the same problem with Win7. I just cannot connect, it keeps asking for my credentials :-s. I searched on the internet and some people say that it can be the service WebClient (must be running and set to Automatic). But this is not the issue :-s. Win7x64 btw. If you find solution, please post it.

43. Garrett

September 18, 2011 at 5:20 am

Just a heads up for those of you going to use this method. I had this method working for 3 months on my desktop. I just recently started mapping it on my Laptop, and it’s causing a strange bug in Windows. I just managed to narrow it down to the skydrive mapping. On startup, after login, it runs the Winsat tool, and then simply stops at a white screen. Can’t ctrl+alt+del, cant do anything. Safe mode/system restore fixes it, but as soon as I map it again it messes up. Very strange bug. Might just be my computer (Sager 5125)

44. U.S.S.R.

September 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Little addition to post. Those, who are still on XP, just copy url from Simple Viever and only replace prefix ‘https://’ onto ‘\\’ and use your Live Passport login and pass to map drive. Sorry for my english. Good luck with mapping.

45. Pingback: 130 – More iPad Ammunition