High Speed Wireless Broadband in India- Plans and Comparison

Reviews

High Speed Wireless Broadband in India- Plans and Comparison

Initially Broadband in India was termed as anything above the speed of 256Kbps, but now things are changing, we have now broadband plans of 16Mbps and more. Wireless broadband connections are also becoming better in India when compared to previously available speeds of 150Kbps. Most of the mobile operators and ISPs have now high speed USB based modems which can get you a speed upto 3.1 Mbps. Here we are comparing the different plans and coverage of high speed Wireless Internet in India.

USB Wireless Modems

The major high speed wireless broadband service providers in India are Reliance Netconnect, Tata Indicom Photon+, Virgin Mobile, BSNL and MTS. Below are the comparative chart of all the ISPs. Please note that we have not compared all the plans available.

ISP NameMax Download SpeedMax Upload SpeedCost of DeviceCoverage (high Speed)Cost of 2GB PlanCost of 5GB PlanCost of 10GB PlanCost of 15GB PlanUnlimited planOther Features Offered
Tata Indicom Photon +3.1 Mbps1.8 Mbps3600/-70 Cities750/-950/-1100/-1500/-NAPhoton TV
Virgin Mobile VFlash3.1 Mbps1.8 Mbps3499/-NA750/-—-1100/-—-NAvFlash TV coverage
Reliance Netconnect3.1 Mbps1.8 Mbps3500/-38 Cities750/-1099/-1250/-1750/-NA
BSNL EVDO2.4 Mbps3500/-NA—-—-—-—-650/-
MTS MBlaze3.1Mbps1.8Mbps3499/-19 Cities—-899/-1200/-1500/-NA

When it comes to the price of USB modems, almost all the ISPs are having the same price of 3500/- although Tata Photon the costliest one. Coverage wise, Tata Photon emerges the clear winner although we are not sure about the BSNL EVDO coverage.

When it comes to data plans, BSNL is the clear winner here with 650/- for unlimited coverage, but speed of the Internet is 2.4 Mbps when compared to 3.1 Mbps offered by others.

If you are a frequent traveler, we would suggest you to take Tata Photon+ as it has the best coverage in India. There are no roaming changes for all the connections listed above.

If we have missed out any details, please do share it in comments. If you are a user of any of these services, please share your feedback.

1. Nikhil

January 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Seems BSNL EVDO has changed its tariff w.e.f Jan 1st and the unlimited plan now costs Rs 999 and have also introduced 0.5, 1 ,2 and 5 GB data plans.
    Source: http://bsnl.co.in/service/evdo.htm

• Nirmal

January 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Nikhil for the update, we will update the post as well.

2. Rishi

January 15, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Nicely compiled comparison Nirmal but I’d like to add that do they really give mentioned speed? I’ve used EVDO, Photon + and Airtel USB Modem and all provide speed maximum upto 600 to 700 Kbps. The speed they mention is when the network is clean, i.e. no other user except you.
    I think they are good for surviving online but not for daily/regular use.

• Nirmal

January 15, 2010 at 9:34 pm

@Rishi,
      I’m using Tata Photon+ and I’m getting around 1.7 -2.0 Mbps in Kochi and Mangalore. I guess it depends on users and also on place.

3. Anish K.S

January 16, 2010 at 7:44 am

BSNL is Best, others price is too high.

4. sid

January 22, 2010 at 3:41 pm

dear nirmal,
    as others are saying max speed is a hog wash.One can never expect such constant speeds untill one has a leased line.Moreover proving that you are not getting the required speed is a headache.Systems are still not in place.We will have to wait for really professional grade services.In my view BSNL is worst. Photon is best.

• Nirmal

January 24, 2010 at 8:36 am

The max speed is not reachable, thats true, but I’m getting speeds upto2Mbps with Photon +, that is good stuff considering that this is just a USB wireless modem.

5. Thilak

January 31, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Any idea if BSNL EVDO service has started in Mangalore?

6. Atul

February 21, 2010 at 1:44 am

Reliance is pathetic.. both speed and service…I am getting a speed of 20kbps.. I logged two tickets for my slow speed.. both closed without any resolution.. not even called me.. One thing i have learned here.. don’t get lured by the speed.. never get locked by paying high price initially (modem price)..

• Sachin

January 31, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I agree…. Same is the case here. moving on to MTS now…

7. VJ

March 7, 2010 at 1:41 am

RELIANCE NETCONNECT IN KOCHI GETTING A SPEED OF 650KBPS
    for video chatting it is fine…..but both side must have this speed…..

8. mohit

April 13, 2010 at 1:38 pm

reliance now is present in over 66 cities and da device cost 2 has been reduced to 2300 INR so itz a good buy … i love itz speed and connectivity i hav been getting speeds of about 2.5 mbps on an average and tat is mopre than sufficient according to me …

9. Raihan

May 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm

i am using mts mts-mblaze
    Any idea of unlimited plan for it
    And its speed is not so good
    it usually gives 1.8mbps during night times btwn 2 t0 4 o clock
    And during day time it gives the speed of 221 kbps.

10. Rajesh

June 1, 2010 at 10:32 am

Dear Experts,

I am looking for a wireless bradband. After viewing all the comments above, I am little confused which to opt. I am looking for a UNLIMITED plan, so that I can sue it throughout the market hours for share trading.

Any suggestions please . . . . . . . .

Rajesh

11. SavindraSingh

July 12, 2010 at 9:09 pm

DO NOT BUY Virgin Mobile’s vFLASH DATACARD even if they offer it to you for free.

If you want this datacard (Modem device) I will give it to you for free.

I was victim of their trap. And this modem is laying useless since then. I would like to give it to anyone for free if they want. But I can’t tolrate their bad service.

12. kamal kishore pal

July 20, 2010 at 6:29 pm

dear sir,

i want buy a wirless data cards, but i confuse (Tata Photon Plus vs MTS mblaze),

plz. suggested me, what’s are fast speed above ,
    and i want a good speed and fast downloading speed,

I lived in Delhi in (Burari) .
    plz. help me for buy data cards, i

13. jay

August 1, 2010 at 2:05 pm

i want a usb. with good speed and unlimited plan. i m staying in VAPI. so which is more preferable according to coverage and speed?

14. sachin

August 22, 2010 at 5:18 pm

which is better in performance photon+,ril broadband+ or mts mblaze.

15. DPS Nair,

August 30, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I am using Reliance for over a year. To be honest I am still continue with their unreliable speed and service just because I don’t want to further invest on this. All these service providers give you a rosy picture thru ads to grab/trap poor users. After reading above comments I am thinking of switching over to photon and see how that works.

• Nirmal

September 12, 2010 at 4:07 pm

@DPS Nair,
      I have two Photon connection and fully satisfied with the connections, getting more than 1.5 MBps consistently.

• Binup

October 28, 2010 at 7:51 am

I have a Photon + with 10GB plan. I get only 200 kbps and will work only in TVM and EKM in Kerala. Works only in 2 towns. They said if High Speed is not available we can use CDMA but it never works. Called customer 10-20 times and nothing happened. Not good for people on move. My monthly summary is as follows 300MB of 10GB used. How bad is that….

16. Gurwinder

September 11, 2010 at 9:29 pm

hello guys. i am just relocated to pune. i want to purchase usb net. suggest any which will give better download speed and cost effective unlimited plan. also want to know the meaning of the bundled usage.

17. Gautam

September 12, 2010 at 10:14 am

@DPS Nair i would prefer you to take reliance of mts,but not photon.I used it,but they give only a download speed of 153kbps.The download tests are all false,i tested @speedtest.net but its showing 2.1mbps.so pls dont believe in those speedtests.And reliance gives atleast 256kbps download speed and i dont know about mts but without any probs,its speed is best,as i went to my frnd’s house in belur(WB),and he was downloading a game of 1gb with mts and it took him only 45mins.even im thinking of buying mts

• Nirmal

September 12, 2010 at 4:09 pm

@Gautam,
      If you are getting 153 and 256kbps, then you are staying in a place where there is no Photon+ or Reliance coverage. You cannot expect to get the coverage in all places, but only in specified cities. I’m using photon + for long time now and getting 1.5Mbps consistently.

• Shijo

October 11, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Hi Nirmal

How is the the coverage of Photon+ in Cochin? Especially in areas around Aluva?

• Nirmal

October 11, 2010 at 3:04 pm

@shijo,
          I’m not sure of coverage in Aluva, Cochin its pretty good.

18. Gautam

September 12, 2010 at 10:17 am

Sorry for mistake above.its “reliance or mts”

19. Mukund

September 14, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Which wireless broadband should i choose among reliance, tata photon, mts mblaze, idea net setter, airtel, bsnl or any other as for as good speed with unlimited access is concerned. I am in raipur, chhattisgarh.
    Thanks

20. varun

September 14, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Hello friends ,
    I am staying in delhi. I read each and every comment on this post. and according to my experience , Photon+ is proving best service in USB broadband for now. They really proving good speed. MTS 3mbps is also good but they are not constant with the speed.MTS start with 300kbps download speed and its false to 30 to 80 kbps in between within 5-10 mins. if you are looking for cheaper option of USB broadband then only go for MTS. if you can afford TATA photon+ plans then only go for TATA photon+. Best buy.

21. Anand

September 19, 2010 at 9:09 am

MTS Mblaze introduced unlimited plan for only Rs.999.In this plan we can use 15 GB in highspeed(3.1 mbps) after 15 GB the speed upto normal.

22. Anand

September 19, 2010 at 9:16 am

In case of speed MTS MBlaze is much better than others because less num of userz…

23. Binup

October 28, 2010 at 7:56 am

Reliance is the best one for people who travel a lot. I switched to Reliance. If there is no high speed service in the place we are we will get CDMA. Atleast we are not in dark….

24. Arindam Bakshi

November 13, 2010 at 2:00 am

Hi All, I am staying in Bangalore and using Tata Photon + for long time.But my understanding is that the service is not at all consistant and initially I have to run pillar to post for upgrading the service quality,as it was moving like tortoise.They show all the bogus speed test, dont go by their words and the worst part is that you are locked in with them.Am also planning to change it soon , probably with MTS

25. Aman

December 18, 2010 at 11:43 am

hi guys,
    i only want to advice u that only go for mts mblaze
    never mind that their r less number of uzers..
    we only want the speed and the coverage
    so, MTS mblaze is one of the fastest internet and having the most well designed modem in India too.

Keep it up !!
    The Mts team but improve it’s connectivity also…

26. vishal

December 19, 2010 at 5:08 pm

hi dear,
    i will suggest u that everyone should use tata photon+ prepaid usb for best speed.i would like to give advise to tata photon+ company that company should increase their average internet speed more fastest than ever before.
    other companies please dont mind…but they should improve their connectivity & network. bcoz everyday new users r coming .
    i also suggest to tata photon+ company also they should improve their actual average speed to more than 3.1 mbps ..to 30 mbps .
    the photon+ team is great & excellent

27. vishal

December 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

tata photon+ is koooooooooooool

28. Senthil

January 19, 2011 at 2:11 am

In Madurai… does Reliance NetConnect work well? Now some new offer where device price is reduced to 1600 Rs; Thanks

• Raja

February 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm

It depends upon whether there is Reliance coverage in your place or not. I had a satisfactory experience using Reliance Netconnect at Madurai railway junction, while on a train. Its best to ask them for a demo of speed at your place, and then decide.

29. rohit

February 10, 2011 at 3:28 pm

what is the actual downloadind speed range of evdo ?

30. Jijo Joy

February 26, 2011 at 9:13 pm

@Nirmal, I need your suggestion. I’m confused whether to go with EVDO and Photon+..I’m from Cochin (Kadavanthra to be precise) and looking for an unlimited wireless connection. Photon+ costs around 1890 initially and 999 per month for unlimited usage. For EVDO its 750 per month for unlimited usage and device costs around 2400.

I’m only concerned about speed. I need atleast 1 – 2Mbps download speed. So what speed u r getting for Tata Photon+ now? Is it a good investment?

Or shall I go for the EVDO? EVDO customers are complaining about low speed in Kochi, same happens for Photon+ , but its on other cities..Not sure abt actual speeds at cochin.

My existing connection is cable ISP with a consistent download speed of 1.80-2Mbps and costs around 200rs per month, but data usage is limited to 1.5Gb. Another connection is unlimited dialup one with a speed of about 64kbps max..

Now moving to Wireless World to do some justice to my lappy..Pls suggest me a connection – Initial cost no problem..Monthly budget upto 1500..Consistent speed of around 1 – 2Mbps preferred..Reliance is not my cup of tea. MTS, not interested..So finally throttled down to Bsnl EVDO or Photon+ ..

Pick me one 🙂

31. shubham

March 10, 2011 at 5:11 pm

i use micromax310g bsnl 3g data card . i also use 2g sim of bsnl in this data card and i get the speed of 200 kbps in rural area . this data card also support all type of sim so i will advise to use bsnl3g usb data card. but you are want to best speed you are use brodband and for wireless you will use tata photon +.

32. mango

March 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm

any idea that what will be the speed of photon+ in bangalore?

33. nitesh

March 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm

hi nirmal,
    I live in hyderabad. How does mts or virgin work in hyderabad.please also tell me about unlimited plans.

34. stephen dinesh

April 2, 2011 at 7:37 am

Guys please dont’ buy reliance data card.As im living in chennai city,the reliance fails to give adequate speed.its speed is like a moving tortoise.it gives only 5kbps – 25kbps and sometimes upto 35kbps.I cant able to up or download any video.Is tata photon+ is good in chennai?

35. Harsh Saraswat

May 24, 2011 at 10:50 am

Dear All,
    I’m planning to take a wirelessnet connection since long but very confusing about choice i.e. for which I should go in Tata,RIM or MTS.Can any one please guide me and better suggest.
    Also advice what plan should I take like Postpaid or Prepaid?

Regards,

36. Nimesh

May 25, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Hi Guys,

I am looking for Tata Photon v/s Reliance net connect that would give me coverage in the following parts in Kerala (Thrissur, Palakkad).
    I’ve heard Tata photon has very limited coverage in Kerala.

Would love to hear from guys who are currently using any of these connections in kerala.

Thanks in advance.

37. Ipsit

May 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm

See guys from last 9 months iam using mts mblaze and it is giving me nearly 2.5 mbps to 3 mbps iam really telling you the truth.So dont go for any reliance or photon + these are just bloody ..so my advise go for mts mblaze its superior speed can kill photon or reliance easily. My friend is using tata photon + iam telling you he is fed up with this photon + and now he is using mts mblaze and getting speed too. So gor for MTS MBLAZE it is super.

38. Nikhil

July 7, 2011 at 10:10 am

suggest me good wireless service provider. i travel in pune, chennai, tirupati, hubli a lot.

39. Ritam

July 7, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Can u please please tell me the latest unlimited plans of bsnl evdo,i’m using mts mblaze,it’s monthly plans r 2 pricy & not getting the full speed after limit of 12 gb 🙁
    please help me,i’m wanna buy a new bsnl evdo for unlimited full speed downloading.

40. SACHIN

August 2, 2011 at 4:53 pm

in pune which should be better (MTS or photon)
    I will use it to surf through net.
    notmuch of downloading.
    pls suggest?

41. mohan

October 17, 2011 at 10:02 am

i am always using the reliance netconnect . but no identify in the other device and reliance . so please tell some in me . i am in madurai. what is the best service provider?….

42. Dinesh

December 18, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Hi All,

I have reviewed your all comments and replys. as per my experience, if BSNL EVDO network is available then it is awesome. i am keep on trying to say my friend bring demo card check the speed and then buy bsnl EVDO. only one company giving us demo card to check the internet speed.

from past 3 Years i am using bsnl evdo internet with browsing of min 50-60 gb per month without breakdown speed. i am getting normally speed from 1.5mbps to 2.5 mbps.

the main reason is bsnl also not charging any roaming fee, unlimited with Rs. 700 top with pre-paid sim.