How to Enable Spell Check in Text Fields in Firefox

Firefox

How to Enable Spell Check in Text Fields in Firefox

Firefox has its own in-built spell check, but this spell check is available only in Text area and text fields (text boxes) will not show spelling mistakes. Many times blogging titles have spelling mistakes because of this. But a simple trick can activate spell check in text fields as well. To do this, open the config file of Firefox. Type about:config in address bar and press enter.

Now in the filter field, type the following value- layout.spellcheckDefault

firefox config

The default value of this parameter is 1. Double click on this parameter and change the value to 2. Close config file and now open any page which has a textbox and check for wrong spelling (no restart required).

spell check

NB: In case the spell check is still not enabled, right click on the textbox and enable spell check.

1. HardGeek

March 8, 2008 at 7:51 am

😎
    wow, that was helpful.

2. TechPavan

March 8, 2008 at 7:19 pm

yo! that worked….. very useful….. thank you………..

3. Ram

March 8, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Cool tip, it worked. I was looking for something like this.

4. Sangeeta Sinha

March 9, 2008 at 3:11 pm

You know Nirmal, all these years (say about 15) I am working with computers, I never touched spell check. But with what you are saying, I will sure look into it. Thanks,
    Sangeeta

5. Syahid A.

March 9, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Cool tip man. The about:config is full of hidden wonders!

6. Hanne Sena

March 9, 2008 at 9:33 pm

something that i was looking for before this. thanx. 😉

7. Bobby

March 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm

Great tip. I don’t know why they have decided one can make a typo only in text areas 😀

8. Nirmal

March 9, 2008 at 11:05 pm

@HardGeek, @Tech pavan, @Ram
    Glad that it was useful.

@Syahid,
    Indeed its full of hidden tricks.

@Hanne,
    Glad that you liked it.

9. Rakshit

March 9, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Nice tip. Never knew about it. Thanks for sharing.
    🙂

10. Mari

May 3, 2008 at 11:22 pm

Thanks for helping me not look like an idiot!

11. Justin

June 29, 2008 at 12:08 am

Thanks so much.. I’ve been wondering about this for weeks 🙂

12. Zath

July 6, 2008 at 5:40 am

Thanks for the tip, I’m always finding the spell check function in Firefox to be useful and this extension to it will be even better as I tend to type straight into Firefox bypassing Word.

13. BlogsDNA

July 22, 2008 at 5:38 am

Hey Nirmal Great finding, i was desperately looking for this. I almost end doing spell mistake in writing title. Only one problem is that Firefox built in spell checker is not that much powerful is their is any way to improve this spell checker ??

14. janemac

August 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I am having problems with Firefox 3 and Hotmail email – spellcheck? Any suggestions? thanks JM Australia

15. Lynnnette

December 13, 2008 at 4:10 am

Thanks so much! That worked perfectly.

16. Fer

January 4, 2009 at 9:41 pm

hi Everybody,
    well for some extrange reason this is not working, 🙁 Im using the following Firefox version “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5” and
    layout.spellcheckDefault;2, look at my configuration at this image , any ideas please?

Thank you!

17. Fer

January 4, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Oh the image is in this link http://fisa.myvnc.com/temp.jpg sorry

18. Hamlet

January 6, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Firefox tiene su propio construido en el corrector ortográfico, pero el corrector ortográfico sólo está disponible en el área de texto y campos de texto (cuadros de texto

19. Fer

January 7, 2009 at 11:16 pm

I know but it is not working, this firefox crap man!, I’ll quit using it, it’s a waste of time, try using IExplorer 7 plugins they’re better and don’t have to deal with stupid config files, and geek things, and I know what you are thinking, but let me tell you, my time is very important to waste it on a web browser, besides, all web the developers comply with IExplorer needs not Mozilla, even people say that W3C is ruled by Microsoft so why would you bother trying anything else?
    Best Regards

20. Linked

January 22, 2009 at 1:30 am

Perfect tip! Thanks!

21. Pingback: A Restless Mind: Digest - Sat 21st February

22. Tiago Faria

February 28, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Thanks for the tip!

23. scott

March 1, 2009 at 3:14 am

I might be a complete idiot here, but this spell check only seems to help with half the problem. Okay, so I type in an incorrectly spelled word, and this shows me that it’s incorrectly spelled, but then, I assume that when I right-click the word the context menu will show me a suggestion of the correctly spelled word, but for me it doesn’t. It simply shows that the word is misspelled, but it doesn’t give you a suggestion.

Am I seeing that correctly?

Can you suggest something that will not only tell me I’ve misspelled a word, but also give me a suggestion as to the correct spelling?

24. scott

March 1, 2009 at 3:31 am

I found the solution! I’m using firefox 3.0.5 for mac 10.5.6, and I had installed the all-in-one gestures add on. This add on disabled the ability to see the correct spelling suggestions. On another forum a poster suggested using the mouse gestures add on instead of all-in-one gestures. I installed that instead, and I’m finally seeing correct spelling suggestions!

Yay!

25. Sinstun

March 2, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I love firefox very well as i love my internet soul

26. Pingback: Teknovis » Firefox Spell Check

27. Dan Dascalescu

June 14, 2009 at 2:30 am

@Hanne Sena, “I don’t know why they have decided one can make a typo only in text areas” – because in text areas people often type their name, address etc., which most of the time are not in the Firefox dictionary.

@ the IE user who said W3C is ruled by Microsoft: you are an idiot, sir.

28. Fer

June 14, 2009 at 11:27 am

@Dan Hey! I was the W3C ruled by microsoft guy, and I got to say that I was an idiot, actually I’ve been using firefox and I just love it, i’ve been able to do a lot of things with it, and sorry for the crap I said, I really retract that, I would delete my comment if I could. Regards

29. Pingback: Firefox Spell check - Erodov

30. Alex

September 30, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Thanks a lot for your trick.

31. rob e rein

October 19, 2009 at 1:15 pm

TOTALLY AWESOME MAN!

32. factopo

December 25, 2009 at 11:49 am

Seems like more people could use spell check…

33. rob e rein for cong

January 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm

thank you, thank you, thank you – this site is fucking wonderful!

34. Pingback: How to Enable Spell Check in Mails in Outlook 2010

35. nenne

September 17, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Thanx, great tip. Solved some of the problems with the spellcheck

Kind regards / nenne

36. SIFE

October 29, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Thank you, I was looking for this future long time ago.

37. Tony

January 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Thanks Nirmal for your help man, this works a treat, I’m a very happy bunny now (*_*); I wish I was as intelligent as you 🙁

38. BioBasics

February 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Please email me with any pointers about how you made your blog look this awesome, I’d be thankful!

39. ?ukasz

September 22, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Works perfectly, thanks for posting it!

40. Best audio books

October 11, 2011 at 7:22 am

I have a new laptop and after installing the Firefox I have noticed that I do not have spell check at all. Now after reading your article, not only I have spell check for text, but for any existing field. Great, thank you.

41. WorkmanVT

March 8, 2012 at 4:19 am

This still does not enable spell check for comment fields in Facebook.  Any suggestions to fix this?