Windows XP Tips: Install/Uninstall Applications in Safe Mode

Tips and Tricks

Windows XP Tips: Install/Uninstall Applications in Safe Mode

When you install any software, if the installation is not proper or because of some other reasons sometimes, Window refuses to boot after restart. Windows can be booted in safe mode in such circumstances, but the installer will not work. When yo reboot in safe mode, you need to create a registry entry for Windows installer to work for install.

NB: If you use the registry editor incorrectly, you might cause serious problems that might require you to reinstall your operating system. Use the registry editor at your own risk. Keep a backup of registry before editing.

To create a Registry entry, open command prompt ( Run->Cmd). Type the following command in the Window- REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer/VE/TREG_SZ/F/D %Service%

You can also create a entry from registry editor.

Next start the Windows Installer Service by typing net start msiserver. Once this is done, you will be able to install/uninstall applications in safe mode.

1. Robert Watson

May 17, 2008 at 7:37 pm

I am stuck in “Safe Mode!!! I am running Windows Microsoft Victa Ultimate.
    I don’t know how I got into Safe Mode since I was sending an e-mail and all of a sudden there it was, Safe Mode!”

I would really appreciate some help.

Bob Watson
    Dillard, Ga. 30537

2. Nirmal

May 17, 2008 at 8:32 pm

@Robert,
    Next time you boot the system, you can switch back to normal mode.

• michael moore

November 5, 2015 at 8:15 am

hey dude my computer breaks when i load normal mode so i am forced to use safe mode

3. Jimmy Ralph

June 23, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Ok, so im 14 years old and need help. Im sick of not having any space what so ever and im TRYING to switch from Windows Vista Home Premium to XP. I’ll go into safe mode then ill put in the disc and ill get the options of “Installing XP, Perform Additional Tasks, and Check System Compatibility.” It wont let me do the installing choice for reasons unknown. When i do system compatibility it wont see if my SYSTEM is COMPATIBLE. When i shut my laptop off (It is a Inspiron 1521) and turn it back on, it has the graphics of a 98′ broken down computer, everything pixalated. But then it has the choice of “Installing XP.” When I try that, it says my system has a newer version of Vista or whatever. Please contact me at my e-mail (jimmy.ralph@yahoo.com) and please help me resolve this issue. Thank you.

4. Chelsea McGuire

September 10, 2008 at 4:05 am

When I do this, (specifically, Win XP Home in Safe Mode with Networking) I get the error: Too Many Command Line Parameters. I can easily browse to where I want the key and add it in Regedit, but am not sure what to do after that. Any help would be appreciated.

5. Sam Cranford

September 25, 2008 at 7:21 pm

I got the too many parameters error as well. Here’s the work around:

Launch RegEdit (start > run > regedit)
    Navigate to the key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\
    Right click on the Minimal key in the left hand side, choose New > Key then name it MSIService
    In right hand frame, double click on the default key, and give it the value Service
    Close RegEdit
    Start the service

Good luck,
    Sam

6. abc

December 3, 2008 at 3:20 am

Error after going to start>run>cmd:
    net start msiserver
    Error:
    Can not start in safe mode

7. Despised

December 15, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Hi,
    The error concerning “Too Many Command Line Parameters” is the result of missing space characters between the parameters.

… /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D %Service%

8. Despised

December 15, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Hi,
    This article fails to mention that there are two kind of safe mode in the registry: Network and Minimal.

Thanks

9. Jon Thompson

December 21, 2008 at 3:26 am

You blog post is exactly what I think I need because my computer was infected by a virus. However, I’m getting “Error: Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator”, the problem being is I am the administrator and I have only one user(me) and there is no password. I am using Vista Ultimate, which might explain some not needed safety feature that is not needed. My question is how do I enable registry edit?

Thanks so much, Jon

10. mourtaza

December 22, 2008 at 12:01 pm

To Jon Thompson>use method 2 on this site >http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/156/1/Error-Registry-editing-has-been-disabled-by-your-administrator-when-you-open-the-Registry-Editor-in-Windows-Vista.html
    im currently in the same situation as you and i’ve had to do this still in safe mode though 🙁

11. Aaron Trismegisto

January 15, 2009 at 7:49 am

ok i need help here im stuck with the safe mode thingy my computer is too slow it shouldnt be it has a gig of RAM and well its in pretty good shape whenever i try to use the normal or standard mode or whatever you call it it wont start it will either freeze on the welcome screen or after it right after the desktop appears
    i cant install or uninstall anything!! 🙁

12. Fábio

May 9, 2009 at 12:47 am

In the post of “Sam Cranford”, there is a little error in part: “then name it MSIService”. The correct is name to “MSIServer”. If you tape the msiservice and try to start the service using “net start msiserver” the windows will return the error 1084 “the service cannot be started in the safe mode”. if you put the msiserver and try to start the windows installer will start sucessfully.

13. Dev

June 1, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Thanks for the comments Aaron/Sam ! worked for me.

14. Pingback: Black Screen in Windows 7 « Thoughts Debugged

15. Mel Gabriel

June 6, 2009 at 8:04 am

my computer is Windows XP and I’m trying to uninstall my security CA but it failed to uninstalled due to safe mode, my question is how to remove my computer in safe mode… email me at melbsmg04@hotmail.com

16. Jamal

June 7, 2009 at 6:20 am

I recently got a new dell inspiron laptop but when i registered McAfee a series of trojans and malware come up. First i had winsoftbue then pcenter and i can only run ma laptop in safe mode because of the bluescreen. How can get rid of the viruses but keep files like Itunes without resetting my laptop. Please help.

Jamal

jamal-lawrence1@hotmail.com

17. Falkirk based Computer repair

July 24, 2009 at 10:07 pm

great advice for those suffering at the hands of a virus which has messed up the file registry on their computer, saves times having to re-install!

18. Ashutosh

September 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Thanks!

Adding a “MSIServer” key with default value “Service” in the registry (via regedit) and then “net start msiserver” on the command line fixed it for me!

19. HMeister

October 18, 2009 at 1:50 am

Worked for me right after I renamed the key MSIServer.

20. Pingback: Drucker entfernen nicht m?glich - WinBoard - Die Windows Community

21. Sergei

November 10, 2009 at 4:28 am

Thx Ashutosh!!! Adding this value via RegEdit fixed the problem!!!

22. soumen

May 31, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Hi my problem here is i have Windows XP SP3 installed and recently installed an Windows XP SP2 64 bit OS, which was installed currectly but then loads up good in Safe Mode, but in normal mode it shows nothing.

The usual login logo shows up but after that a blnk screen comes up with two White Dots at the Top.

Could you please help me out on this! Thanks in advance.

regards,
    Soumen Mondal.

23. Santana

June 23, 2010 at 10:41 am

So . . . I’ve been putting in the code and everything , yet it always response is :
    ERROR: Invalid Syntax.
    Type “REG ADD/?” for usage.

By The Way , i’m on Vista Ultimate.

24. Amandeep Singh

October 2, 2010 at 7:00 am

I had to reboot into Safe mode after applying this. Then it worked fine.

25. Paritosh

October 19, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Whenever i m trying 2 instal a new version of windows like xp 2010.In the middle of installation i used 2 get a blue error screen stating that installation has being shut down to prevent some serious error to system..If u want 2 instal new drivers instal in safe mode…But my problm is that i m not getting hw 2 get into safe mode after rebooting the system

26. Pingback: Cannot Install BB DTop - on Win XP machine..?? - BlackBerry Forums Support Community

27. s vernon

April 13, 2011 at 8:43 am

my computer recently stopped working correctly in normal mode, it however is windows seven so probably not xp, but i am probably having the same problem and it might have viruses and need windows reinstalling but i dont have windows cds because the tech guys at futureshop installed it so will i have to take it in to them, and will they come up with the same solution?? thanks.

28. Chihara

April 15, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I ran my usual updates over night, and upon booting up, I got blue screened.. I still am.. (Currently running safemode with internet capabilities). My blue screen doesn’t stay up long enough to see where the error may appear, no matter how many times I disable the auto-restart. I’m running windows Vista, and I have tried all of the suggestions above.. Adding the key to the regedit. Running the installer in the command line. No matter what I do, even fixing the spelling, nothing helps. I just want to be able to install my stupid driver updating program to see if that helps with the blue screen. Someone help. I’m getting thoroughly pissed.

29. John

July 30, 2011 at 2:14 am

Just tried this and it failed, however I was trying to use safemode with networking.

Adding the same registry entry: MSIServer
    And setting it’s Default to: Service
    To: Networking
    As per the above: Minimal

Also allows your safemode with networking access to the installer service via: net start msiserver

Hope this helps

30. Steven

September 5, 2011 at 9:24 am

I’ve run the reg command listed above and when I try net start msiserver I receive a message “unable to start Windows Installer in Safe Mode”, even after I reboot.

I’ve added the key
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer
    and given it a default value of Service, and I get the same thing, even if I name it %Service%.

This is on Windows 7 Ultimate

31. BlacksoulD_FlarE

December 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm

WHEN I DO THIS:

IT SAYS System error 1084 has occured.
    This service cannot be started in safe mode