The default browser that comes with iPad is Safari and although it does have good features, it is not the best browser. Opera has released the latest version of Opera Mini 6 optimized for iPad. If you are looking for an alternate browser on iPad, you can try Opera Mini 6. The Interface of the browser is pretty good and has all the features of Opera Mini on other platforms. Opera claims that its powerful servers compress data by up to 90% before downloading, so page loads are lightning fast.
Although the interface looks good with tabs, the rendering of some of the HTML elements are not the best. Clicking on the Opera icon brings in the normal option box with bookmarks, history, settings and other sharing options.
In the settings, you can set the image quality and other advanced browsing options.
Another feature available from the desktop version of Opera is the visual tabs. You can see a preview of all the tabs using the visual tabs button.
Features claimed by Opera;
- Speed: Up to 6 times faster browsing, especially when on slower or crowded networks
- Data Savings: Compress up to 90% of data traffic
- Speed Dial: Get to your favorite Web sites with a single tap
- Visual Tabs: See all your open Web pages and quickly switch between them
- Opera Link: Synchronize your bookmarks and Speed Dial with a Desktop PC or other mobile phone
Related Reading: Free Alternative to Safari on iPad- Terra Web Browser
The browsing speed is definitely good and better than Safari, but the rendering of some pages are not the best and also broken. The interface is pretty good and so are the features. Opera Mini is definitely a good alternative to Safari on iPad.